Wednesday, January 6, 2016

It Gets Lonely

My grandparents were married for 63 years before my grandmother passed away nearly three years ago.  With what we have become accustomed to with marriages these days, that is absolutely incredible!  If John and I were ever to reach 63 years of marriage, he would be 106 and I would be 100!  LOL  But back to my story...

You can imagine how extremely difficult it was for my grandfather to lose his love, the woman that  he spent 63 years, and 75% of his life with.  He had already become more emotional of a man as he aged and he could cry on a dime.  Watching my grandfather mourn my grandmother was just heart wrenching.  He visits her at the cemetery every day and he never misses a birthday, anniversary, or holiday to publish a small memorial write-up in the newspaper or to have a mass in her name at the church.  She was the love of his life and that is how he honors her memory and keeps her alive and close.  

This past Christmas I drove back to Western New York to spend it with my family.  I stayed for about a week and the day before I left I went to my grandfather's house to visit.  That is when he told me about his dream...

He told me how he had dreamt about going to a New Year's party at my cousin's house.  At the party was this woman that everyone was trying to set my grandfather up with.  This woman was real, the mother of a friend of the family's.  However, in this dream, she didn't like my grandpa.  It really hurt his feelings and so he came home early from the party.  

When he finished, he didn't cry!, he chuckled at himself.  Then he looked up at me and said, "It gets lonely... you know."

Yes it does g-pa, yes it does.

I could tell that he felt a little guilty for having this dream and since my mother was right there, he mentioned that perhaps he shouldn't say anything before telling us the dream.  But I am happy that he did.  As someone who has worked out so much through my dreams, I was happy to have heard his.  I think that shows that he has come a long way.  My grandpa is the cutest old man!  He's 86 years old and I don't think the he is looking for a relationship.  But I can imagine how lonely it gets for him.  Atleast I had my son at night and I such a long future to look to fulfilling with love once again.  I would be fantastic if he met a lady friend.  But just in case he doesn't, my family has done a great job of taking him out and having fun with him.  Sometimes I wonder if he has more of a social life than I do, lol.  But good for him.  He deserves to be happy and to enjoy the time that he has left here before he reunites with my grandmother once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment