Thursday, February 6, 2014

Mommy Milestones

This past week, I've hit some big milestones as a mom.  In other words... my little boy is growing up!!!

My son is finally old enough to join a Little League Tee Ball team!  He has a later birthday and missed the cutoff last year.  But this year he's ready to go!  This brings back such memories for me as I played organized softball from the time I was nine and throughout high school.  I have SO many memories as much of the summer time was spent playing and traveling to different tournaments.  My Little League team won states one year and my high school team was one of the top ranked teams in New York State.  So I have been very excited for my son to be old enough to start playing baseball.  And now that the time is here, I can't help but to wonder where did that time go!?!  Crazy!

This week I also signed my son up for a summer camp.  He loves, loves, loves to dig in the dirt and so what better place than the Botanic Garden?  He'll be learning about soil, seeds, bugs, and all things dirty.  He'll have a chance to channel his inner country boy and he's going to love it!  It's twice a week for the whole month of July and... it's a drop off!  He's finally old enough to be dropped off somewhere (other than school) and left... for 3 hours!  Woo hoo!  Since the gardens are one of my favorite places, I plan on spending a good amount of the days there, relaxing and reading.  It's also across the street from a park.  So on my energetic days, I can go running.  Or maybe best yet, lay out in the sun! 

I also finished applying my son for kindergarten this week!  Kindergarten!!!  I have decided to stay put in my apartment because financially it makes the most sense.  Our zoned school is also very nice as well.   However, I did apply to two other schools that are nearby.  Chances are that we won't get in because they typically only take zoned children as well.  But, I had the opportunity to apply to schools outside of my zone and they are close enough to make them doable.  And even more importantly, they are very, very good schools.... public NYC schools!  It's funny to think that my son is a true New Yorker... a born and raised Brooklyn boy!

I discovered last week that my son also has a loose tooth!  It's his first... but he's only four.  He was so excited at first especially since he knows that the Tooth Fairy will come.  What he didn't understand was what a loose tooth really was and how it felt.  He also didn't realize that he would be losing all of his teeth.  He was actually a bit devastated when I told him.  He cried and cried.  I couldn't help but to laugh (bad mom, lol).  But I squeezed him tight as he cried as I think I was crying a bit inside too being hit with another biggie.  My son really is growing up!

Perhaps the biggest milestone of them all, was what occurred on Tuesday.  My son and my New Yorker met for the very first time!  This was such a big day... for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment