Monday, February 15, 2016

Summer 2010

My son had the biggest room in our new apartment.  I loved his room.  It got all of the sunlight and it's warmth as well as any breeze that would be had on a hot summer day.  Today was one of those days.  We were all in his room.  Dale, our son, myself and our two dogs.

Dale was on the floor with Ewan, who was still a month away from his first birthday.  I loved to watch the two of them together.  I think that I enjoyed the genuine happiness that was all over Dale's face even more than the happiness and laughter that came from my son.  Dale's was more rare and to be completely honest, it made me feel lighter to know that there was someone else by my side that could help Dale, even if it was my 11 month year old son.

That summer, my sister was in the middle of her divorce.  She told us in February of that year.  But only months after, the house was already sold and she was living alone with her two boys in an apartment.  I remember looking down at my boys and just being completely happy and content and tried to imagine divorcing Dale.  I couldn't.  I knew that our marriage wasn't perfect, but on a day like that day, I couldn't help but to feel happy. I loved him more than anything, and now we had a son, whom I loved more than anything too.

Dale was my first love.  He was my first everything.  We had been together for nearly 13 years, that was almost half of my life!  I didn't know anything different, and I didn't want to.  I sat there watching him with our son and tried to imagine someone else in his place and trying to love someone else in that capacity.  I couldn't.  It was an unfathomable thought.  

No comments:

Post a Comment