Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Shock

I feel as though I need to process my thoughts around these different stages of grieving.  I feel that is the only way for me to grasp the reality of where I stand, how far I have truly come in my process of healing. 

Shock.  I remember getting the call very early that Tuesday morning.  I can remember the pause in my sister-in-law's voice between saying my name and telling me what had happened.  I remember doing the same to my own sister who was the first person I called.  I remember feeling like I wanted to cry but nothing would come out.  Inside, it was like the waves of the ocean crashing up against the rocks.  I remember going into my son's room and lying on the floor.  I wanted to be with him, but I didn't want to wake him.  I remember talking to my husband.  I thought that his released spirit would be so new and perhaps confused, but I was hoping that it would have come straight to me and my son and I wanted him to know how much we loved him.

I remember later that day, my family started to trickle in.  My brother was the first to arrive.  Followed shortly by my parents.  My sister arrived that night.  I remember how they all slept in my small living room... two on the couch, one on the chair, one on the floor.  I remember my mother-in-law coming to the apartment to talk about the autopsy report and the funeral arrangements.  Because I was alone with my son until mid-morning when my family began arriving, I never went to the place where it happened.  I didn't have to talk to the police or the coroner or whomever else needs to be spoken to when someone dies.  His parents did all of that.

I remember going to see my therapist the next day and all I wanted to do was to talk about him and remember him.  She had her own agenda that I didn't full appreciate until much later.  Her focus was on me and making sure I took no blame in the choice that my husband made.  It was such a difficult and confusing session for me because I thought that could wait.  I just wanted to think about him.

I remember arriving at my husband's hometown a couple of days before the funeral.  How weird it was to be there.  That was him, his home.  Not mine.  I remember feeling that piece missing with agony.  

I remember out of town friends arriving and how we all stayed together in the house the night before the funeral.  I remember the stories, the tears, and even the laughter as we shared our own stories of him.  I remember staying up late writing that night and waking with dread as for what that day brought.

I remember arriving at the funeral home very early that morning with my husband's best friend from high school, the best man in our wedding.  I remember seeing my husband for the first time.  The lifeless body of what was once the man that I had known and loved for almost half of my life.  I remember reading a letter that I had written just for him out loud to him and then placing it inside of his favorite suit, above his heart.  I remember placing some photos, a book, and the blanket that we brought our son home in from the hospital all with him.  I remember thinking how it didn't look like him.  I remember thinking to myself how it is just a body and that his spirit is alive and how I truly believed that and how shocked I was that I did.

I remember how much it had rained that week.  I remember how on the day of the funeral it was sunny and beautiful.  I remember crying throughout that week and having moments during the funeral.  I remember my best friend looking after my son the entire time.  I remember the little suit that my son wore.  I remember my son walking up the casket and the silence that it created as I think every one's heart in the room sank just a bit deeper.  I remember the pastor's beautiful words as she did not deny the cause of death, but embraced it in a dignified way.  I remember my own words as I gave the eulogy.  I remember how nervous I was in not being able make it through all that I had wanted to say.  I remember how something turned on inside of me that allowed me to make it through, but how that something shut down the emotional side of me.  I remember feeling numb after that day.  Shock.

I remember all of those things... but in a fog.  I remember slowly starting to come out of that numb state.  I was able to cry again.  But I never cried like I would have imagined myself crying under the circumstances.  To an extent, there is still an element of shock that lingers.  I believe that is partly due to how difficult it is comprehend all that had happened. 

However, the shock did not disable me.  I couldn't let it.  My parents stayed with me for about two weeks  after the funeral and then I was on my own.  Literally.  I had decided to stay in NYC where I had no family and no friends that would just drop by to keep me company or to lend a hand.  I had work, day care for my son, and my therapist.  So although I may have been in a some form of shock, the reality of my new life didn't wait.  And I did my best to climb aboard.  I didn't want to be left behind in despair and desperation.  There was not a single day that I didn't get out of bed.  I had a 20 month year old to take care of.  He was a constant reminder of all that is beautiful and wonderful in both my husband and in life.  And for him I will always be grateful. 

Shocked yes.  But never in denial...


No comments:

Post a Comment