Sunday, June 2, 2013

Another Goodbye

This is not a grave goodbye but a goodbye nonetheless.  My babysitter is leaving at the end of the month for Florida.  She just finished her bachelor's degree and she is moving down south with her family and will pursue her master's at the University of Florida.  I am happy for her.  She is young and I am so glad that she is taking this opportunity to explore the world and try different places and things.  But...

She has become part of my support and family here in New York.  She started watching my son in October of 2011, only months after my husband passed.  I knew she was the one as soon as I met her and my son just loves her!  It is and was such a scary thing, to leave your child with a virtual stranger... in your home, but I trusted her from day one and I know that she truly cares for my son. 

Finding a sitter is probably the one of the most important things that I have done.  It allowed me the freedom to catch my breath, bond more with girlfriends, and go out on dates.  It also allowed my son to interact with someone other than myself and he looks forward to his regularly scheduled Tuesdays with her every week.

Fortunately for me, my sitter has a sister.  A sister that has watched my son on occasion when my sitter wasn't available.  I really like her too.  She is great with my son and I trust her completely.  Her sister will be staying here in NYC and she will now become my new go to gal.  I am truly grateful that I will not have to go through the process of finding another sitter and this transition should be easy for my son.  Although I know that he will miss his first sitter tremendously.  He has had to say goodbye far too many times for his young age.  In some ways its good that he doesn't understand, in other ways its not because all he knows is that there is an absence and it must be confusing.

Nothing lasts forever, so enjoy everything while it lasts... another goodbye.


On a happier note...


I had wanted to get my sitter a gift and thought that a cool piece of NYC art to remember us and the city was a nice idea.  So this is the piece that I chose for my cool, hipster sitter to take with her to Florida.  This piece was created by photographer and painter duo known as Green Jacket Art.  If anyone is interested, you can check them out and like them on Facebook (by the same name).  Just thought I'd give a shout out, they were both very nice.  :)


I like the way the flash shined on the image above, but this one shows the work more thoroughly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment