Monday, December 9, 2013

Happy Birthday... To Me!

Today is my birthday and I hit it... I am 35 and am officially in my mid-thirties.  Like most things, the anticipation of this day was much worse than the actual day itself.  I still feel the same and look the same as I did yesterday when I was still 34.  In fact, the Dr. Oz Real Age Quiz tells me that I am 29!  And you know, I feel it.  I think that's what's hard about reaching this semi-milestone age.  It's hard for me to believe that I am in fact 35.  I know comparatively it is young, but even still, I don't feel that I am even that old.  I guess that's what really matters, isn't it?

For the past two years, I've have family come and visit me for my birthday.  This year, that didn't happen and so this was the first birthday that I spent alone (with the exception of my son, of course!).  I tried to plan and keep busy this weekend and I did and it turned out to be a great! 

On Friday, a group of 10 girlfriends from work went out to dinner.  We do this for each other's birthday and the birthday girl gets treated.  It's a nice, fun little tradition.  I got an extra surprise when everyone had also chipped in to pay my babysitter for my night out.  It was completely unexpected and it brought tears to my eyes.  It was such a thoughtful and sweet gesture and one that I appreciated so much!  It was a great night out to say the least. 

On Saturday, my son and I went to Sesame Place... more on that to come! 

Sunday was a lazy day.  It was very much needed after a busy, busy week.  So I didn't even mind being cooped up all day long.  It was cozy and relaxing! 

Then my birthday strolled along.  At 12:00 on the dot, I got a text.  My New Yorker had that text typed and it was waiting for the stroke of midnight so that he could be "the first one to wish me a happy birthday."  He was.  And it was incredibly sweet.  Wednesday will be our third date and he is making me a special birthday dinner.  Yep... he's cooking! 

Monday has been our night and he did ask if I'd like for him to take me out for my birthday, but I declined.  It's only been 2 dates.  And even though I do like him, I didn't want there to be any added birthday pressure.  And even more so than that, I had already planned an evening with my son and I really didn't want to change that.  So I didn't and that felt good.

So how did I spend my birthday?  I didn't go to one of the best pizzeria's in NYC or to Rockefeller Center to see the tree, or take a horse a carriage ride through Central Park like originally planned.  The weather wasn't so great.  So instead, I got a mani-pedi, picked up my son and had Chinese for dinner.  After that, we went to a neighborhood with a huge display of Christmas lights.  He oohed and ahhed at them.  We sang Christmas songs together as we held hands walking up and down the streets and when we passed by a house that was playing music, we stopped and danced.   I love that little boy.  And I loved spending my birthday with him. 

It was a quite birthday, but it was a special one too.  35 isn't looking so bad after all!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment