Monday, December 12, 2011

Little Moments

This week my son and I were both sick.  Not fun.  I had to take a day off of work (before I even got sick), the babysitter came one day, and fortunately, my parents just happened to be visiting for the weekend, so they watched him the third day before the weekend began.   However, over the course of those five days, sleep was scarce and by Sunday, we were all fighting the cabin fever.

It is tough being a single parent.  However, it's not situations like this past week that make it tough.  Those come and go.  (I am very fortunate that my son only had strep throat, myself only a cold, and that other than those occasional illnesses, we are healthy.)  It's the time in between that is the toughest.

There are many people who love my son.  He has grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and countless other family members and friends who all love him dearly.  They are always interested in what new things he is up to, the milestones he has conquered, and I love that I have so many people to share those accomplishments with.  However, I am finding that there are many moments, "little moments" that occur quite often that are funny or sweet or sad or embarrassing that either pull at my heartstrings or make me burst with pride towards my son.  I think the reason that those little moments have such an impact on me is because he is my son.  Those little moments feel like an inside joke, but there isn't anyone on the inside who gets it with me anymore.

I know it's the little things that mean the most and that those little moments do hold a great deal of value that can be shared with the people in my life.  And I have.  It's just different.

I found a button today that I added to my blog.  I've heard the saying before and I always really liked it,  "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain."  The storm definitely has not passed yet, but I am trying my best to dance in the rain.  And I can't help but to look forward to someday meeting someone who will find great joy in sharing those little moments that will pull on his heartstrings and will make him  beam with pride too.  (My little guy is pretty amazing.)





No comments:

Post a Comment