Friday, December 23, 2011

Table for Two

Ironic that "Table for Two" would have been the post title for yesterday's blog had I had the time to sit down and write.  However, today as I am writing, this title serves a more literal meaning today than it would have yesterday.  But I will tell you both stories...

Yesterday, I took my son to go see a nearby neighborhood that boasts a spectacular display of Christmas lights.  Truly, it is amazing how so many houses on so many blocks are so decked out for the holidays.  I had wanted to take my son because I thought that he was finally old enough to really enjoy them, and he did!

However, as I was walking up and down the streets, I couldn't help but to think about the past.  My husband and I used to live in this neighborhood.  Even before our son was born, we used to walk up and down these streets before, during, and after the holidays with our dogs.  It's amazing how things can change... change in ways that seem incomprehensible.

Yesterday, it was just the two of us, my son and I.  After my husband passed, his parents asked if they could keep one of our dogs.  I didn't have the heart to say no.  He now lives five hours away and I rarely see him.  My other dog has been with my parents for the past few months and will stay there throughout the winter.  They are keeping her just to help me out so that I do not have to take my son out into the cold to walk her.  So for now, she is gone too.  In this new life that I often refer too, it is just the two of us, my son and I.

Today was my last day of work before Christmas break.  Since I had to work today, the plan was to leave for my parents' (who live about 8 hours away) early tomorrow morning so that we could join in on the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day festivities.  Well, I got a call at work from my son's day care asking me to come get him because he had a high fever.  Fortunately, my boss has been wonderful to me and she told me to leave before I even asked.  I was also lucky to get into the Dr.'s right away too.
It turns out that he has an ear infection and he is now on antibiotics.  However, our plans have changed and instead of leaving tomorrow, we will be traveling on Christmas instead.

Today was a long day and a late night.  As we waited for his prescription to be filled, we ate dinner at a little diner.  Indeed it was, a "table for two."  As I was sitting at the table with him waiting for our food, I realized how my figurative thought from yesterday was my literal reality.  As we were waiting, I also got to see him smile and laugh as he sang along with the Christmas songs on the radio.  I knew he was starting to feel better.  So I too smiled, laughed, and sang.  We are both going to be okay.







No comments:

Post a Comment