Monday, June 11, 2012

Yo Yo Ma


One thing that I owned up to yesterday was my interest in classical music.  I have yet to mention Yo Yo, surprising since I have a crush on him.  Seriously.  I only discovered him a couple of years ago when I was pregnant.  I would put headphones up to my belly and play his music.  Apparently those intimate moments made quite an impression on me.  Since that time, I have thought about becoming a Yo Yo Roadie.  I have looked up his concert schedule many times, hoping to go see him play.  I was willing to travel and even wanted to travel to see him play.  However, the dates never seemed to work out.  Until...

June 26th!  Two weeks from tomorrow, he will be at Lincoln Center.  And guess who else will be there?  Me!  I even found a friend who wanted to go see him and is just as excited about it as I am!

He really is an extraordinary performer with an exquisite talent.  I had wanted to find a very classy video to share, but I came across this one instead.  I thought it was really awesome for so many reasons.  One, I thought it was cool for Yo Yo to play Empire State of Mind.  It just goes to show how timeless instruments and classical music can really be.  Also, I loved watching the children's faces when they realized what song it was that he was playing.  It was great to see this not only as a teacher, but as a New York City teacher.  I support public education wholeheartedly and there are some wonderful, wonderful programs and experiences that only my city of New York can offer!  It makes me feel proud to teach and work where I do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment