Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hysteria

Last week I went to a theatre and saw Hysteria, an indie movie.  It's a British movie and you know my love affair for all things British, lol.  But besides that, it was really good.  It took place in England in the 1880's and was about... you guessed it, female hysteria.

I have to admit that I was familiar with the diagnosis of this "ailment" however, I was not aware of the practices used to help relieve women of it.  I cannot imagine going to my doctor and having my pelvic massaged to help relieve me of my "hysteria"... OMG!!  This movie does explore this, but does so as... discretely(??) as it can.  However, that only adds to the comedy of the movie and makes it that much more... enjoyable.  This movie also leads to the invention of the vibrator.  I'm not sure who was more thrilled though, the patients or the doctors.

So why am I posting about this movie?  Well, I think it's worth viewing.  But, more so than that, it lends itself nicely to the 50 Shades of Grey phenomenon.  This is what I find so baffling... I know that women are fully capable of cheating.  However, I feel as though I hear so much more about men, men in general being cheaters, dogs, playing games (etc., etc., etc.) and sex seems to be burning at the very core of all this extracurricular activity.  Yet at the same time women are finding something very lacking as well as it's women who are clearing the shelves of 50 Shades and then comparing their sex lives and husbands/partners to Christian Grey, and going out to sex shops hoping to bring some spark back into the bedroom.  Woman held this same desire back in the 1880's (and before) which  was essentially the cause of hysteria.  Women were not being satisfied sexually then as it seems so many are not now.

So if both men and women are not happy with their sex lives (and I know I'm speaking in general terms) where is the actual breakdown?  Two sides to every story, right?  Both sexes are at fault just as it takes two to tango.

As I have posted so many times now about moving on and dating, sex is a real concern for me.  It is such an important part of an intimate relationship and communicating about needs, wants, and desires is very important.  Couples do need to be compatible sexually just as they do in any and every other way, especially long term.  It is too easy to become comfortable with time, but not the good type of comfort.  The type of comfort that turns into stagnation over time which turns into boredom and unhappiness which can then lead to actual cheating or fantasy cheating whether it comes from the Internet or a book.

I have to admit that just yesterday, I gave into the hype and curiosity and bought the first of the 50 Shades trilogy.  I have not finished the book yet, however I have read enough and I am pleased to say that my socks have not yet been knocked off by that of Mr. Grey.  And while I am not in any sort of relationship now, I did spend nearly 13 years of a monogamous relationship to think back on.  Communication, acceptance, trust, and the desire to step out of your box to please and to be pleased and to not let that all go away with time... If this is a true desire, then it's not as much as it may sound, if both parties are on board... no contract needed.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment