Monday, July 23, 2012

The Alchemist

Click on this link to read
quotes from this book.
It was a book that I had heard of before.  I wasn't sure what it was about exactly but that it was known worldwide.  For some reason though, a couple of years ago when I first wanted to read this book, I never did.

Friday, I noticed it on the table in Barnes and Noble and I was reminded of how that was a book that for some reason, I had wanted to read some time ago.  I bought it and read it...wow.

This is not one of those books where summarizing the plot and giving my opinions would do it any justice.  It is one of those books that you read for you and you alone and take all that you can from it.  But I do just have to say a bit about it...

This book is about finding yourself, your true self and the journey and courage it takes to do so.  It is about fate and destiny and free will and choice.  It's about paying attention to the little things, trusting your gut, being honest with yourself, and having faith.  This is a very spiritual book and I think the reason that it is so popular worldwide is that it can speak to anyone regardless of their religious affiliations.

One of the messages given is of love, love towards another person.  I couldn't help but to be reminded of my last post "Something Beautiful" and what The Bishop of London had spoke about love in his sermon at The Royal Wedding.  There were many similarities among the book and the sermon and whether or not the sermon was inspired by this book, it is beautiful nonetheless.

In keeping with the theme of The Alchemist, I believe that I found, bought, and read this book at precisely the right moment for me to do so.  I don't think it would have had the impact on me had I read it two years ago.  I was in an entirely different situation two years ago and I was a very different person as well.  I am not only looking for love and to love again.  I am also looking for what is right for me in terms of where I live and what I do and I am fully aware of all of the options that I have.  More so than anything else, I have searched for a reason, a purpose in all that has happened.  A while back I wrote about the last step in my healing, which I don't feel I have quite reached yet and that is to use my experience and knowledge for a greater purpose.  What that is, I am not yet sure.  Perhaps now is the time for me to find that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment