Friday, July 13, 2012

Sweet Home...Ala...bama!?!

I just got back from a week and a half of a mini-vacation which included a week in my hometown, which is no, not in Alabama.  However, this post's title was inspired by the Reese Witherspoon movie, rather than the song.

Overall, I had a great time and it was really nice to stay for a whole week, which I cannot remember doing since... my college days??? However, it turned out to be an interesting week as well...

I am from a small city with a population of about 12,000 people.  It's a place where everyone knows everyone and everything, or so they think, lol.  The first two days back "home" was refreshing.  My parents' house is quiet.  They have some land, a vegetable garden, and a few flower gardens.  My son loved it as he was able to channel the inner farmer in him.  My son also adores my father and had a blast spending so much time with him.

I busied myself with going to the salon, a play date, my nephews' baseball game, Zumba, fireworks, 80's music and dancing at the pier, the beach, shopping, a house party, a family reunion, and my class reunion, phew!

Although I was quite busy, by the time Wednesday rolled around, (I was there Sunday to Sunday) I was starting to feel that old feeling of being out of place all over again.  That refreshing and relaxing feeling that I felt surrounded by for the first few days was fading, and quickly.  The longer I was there, the more people I saw.  The more people I saw, the more gossip I heard.  The more gossip I heard, the more I formed opinions about those being gossiped on and the ones telling me all the drama.  And most of this was coming from my family (I have a big one, with lots of cousins!)!  I have always thought differently than the "others" and I think that's partially why I left and never really came back.

However, as the week went on, I started to think things over in a different way.  Feeling different is very isolating.  I have spent a great amount of time finding differences between myself and others and focusing on that to the point where I did isolate myself and it's a lonely place that I do not want to revisit.  So, I started to think about connections and commonalities that I have with different people.   And you know what, it worked!  I was more social, less judgemental, and just happier.  As I thought about this more, I feel like I have done the same thing in other areas of my life, in particular, my lunch group at work.  I am much closer to those colleagues now than I was just months ago.  And it is because I looked for commonalities to build on rather than differences to divide.

There will always be differences among people.  That is a given.  What I am looking for in any relationship is for genuine commonalities.  I am not going to pretend anything to fit in and I don't expect and want anyone else to do the same.  I think finding myself in this past year has helped me to achieve this mindset.  That and my father told me that I had the most sense out of everyone in the family.  Thanks dad... hope that pays off!

No comments:

Post a Comment