Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Good Life

I got stood up today.  It wasn't the dramatic version of waiting anxiously in a restaurant for your date to arrive.  Instead, it was the kind that was a slow process in the making.  I should have known when I felt like it was pulling teeth last night when we were coordinating a time.  And when we didn't settle on a place last night or even earlier today, I should have known.  I decided to make decisions myself and told him that I would be in Little Italy at 7:00 and when I received no response, I should have known.  But, my babysitter was still coming and I still got all dressed up as if the date was set in stone.

So at 7:00 I was in Little Italy and instead of meeting someone whom I have been conversing with for three weeks, I was instead deciding what I should do for the next few hours, alone.

I decided to skip dinner and go straight to dessert... Italian coffee with Sambuca and a a fruit tart, yum!  The funny part was that I was sitting outside of this Italian cafe and who do I get surrounded by?  The Italian Mob.  For real.  This big group of men came and I think I may have been in their way (I asked if I should move, lol) but they didn't care, they surrounded me and my table and got to business.  I try to play cool by busying myself with my phone... super cool of me.

It was an absolutely gorgeous night out and some event must be coming up in Little Italy because the street was closed and instead of cars, it was lined with tables from all of the restaurants... a perfect setting for a date.  I was dreading walking back through that section because I have to admit that I was bummed that my dinner date was not going to happen.

Then I put on "Good Life" by One Republic.  I listened to this song quite a bit last year as I just found that it lifted my spirits and it did just that tonight.  I told myself that I have been through too much and have come too far to let this get me down.  Truth is, whatever the reason may be for this... cancelation, it really has nothing to do with me.  It's his reasons and/or issues and I can't take it personally.  So, as I sipped the last of my coffee, I opened up my bag, slipped on my fuschia suede heels, made my way through the mob, and strutted down Mulberry Street with style and grace.  I did it all for myself and I didn't care if no one or everyone was looking.

Since I was so close to Soho, I just had to go shopping.  And I did.  A sweater, a shirt, and a scarf (all for $30!!) did the trick.  And there was one last thing that I wanted to do on this night...

9/11...

This photo was taken from the Brooklyn Bridge.  Like I said, the night was absolutely gorgeous and I walked out onto the bridge for this view.  I am not even sure how to describe this... You are immediately reminded of the horror and tragedy of the events that took place on this day 11 years ago.  But when you are standing on the Brooklyn Bridge looking out onto this view and the entire New York City skyline it is so easy to get caught up in the present moment.  For me, I thought about how much I do love this city.  It is like no other.  I thought about how proud I am to be an American.  I thought about how despite all the awful that life can throw at us, life can be even more so wonderful.  Life is good... good life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment