Monday, February 27, 2012

Feeling Right

February is nearly over and I have yet to mention The Happiness Project for this month.  After having such a successful January with this project, I did kind of take this month off in a way.  The focus for this month is "remembering love" and "marriage," so you can see why.

However, I did take some things away from THP this month as I definitely read some food for thought in this book.  Tonight I want to share with you this quote from the author herself, "To be happy, I need to think about feeling good, feeling bad, and feeling right, in an atmosphere of growth."  There's a lot to pick apart from this sentence, but my focus now is on feeling right.

Feeling right as Gretchen puts it, is living the life that is right for you in terms of your job, your marital status, where you live, your standard of living, etc.  I think that it takes an incredibly brave person to to fully live the life that is meant for you.

I have so much to say about this topic, so tonight I am only going to get into the right occupation.  I think I have mentioned that I am a teacher.  I love being a teacher and I am happy with being a teacher.  However, I do feel like there is something more out there that I could be doing.  What exactly that is, I don't know.  About a month ago, I was thinking about how education is changing and how teachers are now made to teach and how students are now made to learn and in many ways it sickens me.  This thought caused me to think about what else I could do (in the realm of education).

What I have always loved about my job was writing lessons.  In my current position, I actually create the curriculum that I teach and I absolutely love that aspect.  So I actually looked up jobs in this area and found a freelance curriculum writing position in the area of technology.  That's what I do!  It sounded perfect and I applied. Well... I never heard anything back, which is okay, I didn't really expect to.  I applied very quickly; didn't update my resume too much and didn't put too much thought into the cover letter.  But it planted an idea in my mind.  I wasn't exactly qualified for that position entirely either and now I am thinking about what I could do to enhance my skills so that I actually could venture out beyond the classroom.  That is very scary.  As a teacher, I get paid decently, I have great health insurance, and I have a retirement pension.  I would be a big liar if I wouldn't admit that those factors wouldn't weigh heavily if I ever came across another opportunity.  I'd have to be very brave.

One of my beliefs that I posted earlier before I even began this happiness project was, "Trust your gut."  I think that we all know our own truths.  We just have to be brave enough to face them, which is not always easy.  I think that if an opportunity ever did approach me, I would be willing to risk the benefits of being a teacher if it truly felt right.  At the same time, I don't think that opportunities always fall into our laps.  We also need to be open and willing to put ourselves out their and keep our eyes and mind open so that maybe we can perhaps find that piece which will make us even happier.



No comments:

Post a Comment