Friday, February 3, 2012

Maine

Wow, look at that, I already have story to tell.  This one actually began almost five months ago.  It all started on my mini-vacation to Maine...

This summer, as I was getting my hair done, I was reading a magazine and came across an article about a quaint little town in Maine.  It sounded absolutely wonderful and it was only about five hours away from New York City. So, when a long weekend came around at the end of September, guess where I was?  You got it, Maine! 

I didn't go alone, I took my son with me.  I figured as long as there is a park to run around and a beach to play at, we'd be good to go.  However, that wasn't so much the case.  My son has a hard time sleeping outside of our home.  This weekend was no different, except for the fact that he wouldn't take a typically given nap in his stroller.  My weekend of relaxation turned more into one of exhaustion. 

On the last day of our visit, my son had finally fallen asleep after what felt like miles and miles of my walking around this tiny town.  I found a bench near the ocean and just sat.  It was sunny, it was warm, it was gorgeous.  That's all that I had wanted from this trip. 

I was enjoying my time of serenity when I heard someone walk up behind me and then found a seat at the other end of my bench!  What made it worse was that he started talking to me, about the weather!?!  I was so annoyed and all I could think to myself was, "Don't you dare wake up that baby!!"

Then I turned and looked.  OMG, he was really good looking, hot!  Good thing for him, because it earned him a pass and we chatted for 30-45 minutes (I'm not quite sure).  He had recently moved to this town, but was from the general area.  He was an ER nurse.  He was an avid swimmer and it was I who was actually in his spot.  He came to this point to swim laps in the ocean (who does that?), but sat when he noticed me instead.  He did talk alot about himself, but he didnt' seem arrogant.  He seemed kind and he did ask me questions too.

I was not prepared for him.  (I just shared with you in my last post my lack of experience in dating and all that flirtation and whatever else goes with the territory.)  Afterwards, I felt like an idiot for stumbling with my answers, asking rigid questions, and just being... awkward.  Also, it had only been 4 months since my husband passed and getting hit on was just not on my list of things to do.  I could've done with out.  However, despite all of that, he asked me for my e-mail and he got it.  So as he hopped on his motorcycle (why didn't I hear it before?), and drove off (shirtless), I was left with two questions... 1.  McDreamy?  and 2.  WTF just happened? 

About a week later I did receive an e-mail.  It was very friendly and he had remembered some things that I had told him, which I thought was nice.  So, I responded and... that was it.  I heard no more of this motorcycle riding, dreamy nurse.  Even though I wasn't looking for anything, I was still disappointed.  I wondered why he bothered to write me to begin with.  After about two months, I was feeling saucy one day and I decided to write him out of the blue and basically tell him that it was too bad he never bothered to write me back because I would've been worth it.  Sure enough, I received a response later that day.  I had decided before my saucy exchange that he wasn't into me and that I wouldn't respond to him under no circumstances, and I didn't.

So today I was looking through my e-mail account and I noticed that I received an e-mail from Maine.  I opened it and he had sent me some photos of the ocean taken from the spot where we had met.  Now this e-mail was from early January and our last exchange had been in November.  Hmm...?  Funny how the day after I pronounce my toe dipping I should come across this.  I am not saying its a sign, but I decided that enough time had past to start over perhaps?  I decided to respond.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.  Until then, I will continue to move on in my own way and in my own time and see where that leads me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment