Friday, April 20, 2012

Moving On

I have a date tonight.  It is my first.  I know that I have made a few postings on this topic since I first put myself out there two months ago, but lingering online and actually meeting someone in person are two completely different experiences. 

It's funny how things work out.  I was cancelled on.  I cancelled on someone myself.  And I guess the third one is a charm.?.  But, I think that it is for the best this way.  The first potential date I felt nervous for because I thought very highly of him.  The second that I cancelled on (actually I didn't really cancel, I just made plans instead of waiting for him to respond) seemed too serious or intense.  I wasn't really excited about it, I was just doing it to "break the ice."  But this guy that I am going out with, I don't know a whole lot about.  What I do know is that he seems very sweet and interesting.  I think of this meeting as more as meeting a new potential friend, and that is how is should be.  I don't feel very nervous (yet), and I actually feel comfortable meeting him.  That is a good thing.  A very good thing.  For a first date, I think he is probably the perfect sort of first date, atleast for me.  The date itself is going to be very casual.  A very casual dinner and perhaps a stroll around the city.  For me, simple at this point is the best.  So as I near the 7:00 mark, I am starting now to get a bit nervous, but more so, excited.

However, this is my first date.  My nerves are not so much about making a good first impression.  My nerves are moreso geared around the fact that "it's my first date."  This is a huge step forward.  When I first put myself out there, I wasn't sure if I was ready.  It has been 2 months and I got comfortable with messaging some men.  But as I stated above, virtual and in-person reality are very different.  I won't know how this will truly effect me until I am actually in the situation itself.  That is why I think it worked out for the best that this guy is going to be "my first."  It's strange how we can have an effect on people without even knowing it... His actions may trigger my reactions in either a positive or negative way.  He could make me feel comfortable going out and conversing with another male or he may make me reconsider so that I wait a bit longer.  He has no idea though.  And truly, I do feel comfortable and part of this comfort is that I am not thinking too much into this date, or should I say past this first date.  One day at a time, that has been my motto for everything else, why not this? 

I will let you know how this goes.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment