Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spring Cleaning

Ahhh.... spring is in the air.  The days are longer, brighter, and warmer.  The trees are in bloom and we have been graced by magnolias, tulips, and lilacs.  The air smells fresher and cleaner, earthy.  Spring is the time for awakenings.  Spring is the time to clean.

I've put the pledge and windex sort of cleaning on the to-do list though.  My "spring cleaning" is of a different sort.  It has almost been a year.  I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.  It seems like it has been both the fastest and slowest year of my life, simultaneously.  However, regardless of the pace of time, this past year changed me in many ways.  

Not too long ago I posted about finding what is right for you, whether it's a job, home, or person.  I have decided, that even though my rent is going up $100 next month, that this apartment that I am currently in is the right place for me, atleast for right now.  There are things about this place that I do like... the location, the size, and the neighborhood.  Then there are some things I don't like about it... no laundry, the layout, and white walls.  It's blah inside.  

I may have never mentioned this before, but I am an HGTV junkie.  I love it.  And I know from my friends at HGTV and from being a one time home owner myself, Decorating 101... Paint!  There is nothing easier and probably cheaper than a fresh coat of paint.  It can do wonders for a room to brighten it up or to just give it a touch of the personality that you want it to have.  Not to mention that it makes the room appear to be sooo much cleaner as well.  Therefore, I have decided to paint, not all, but a couple of rooms in my apartment.  I'm going to use light, neutral colors just because I don't want to have to repaint when I leave and also because I am going to bypass asking permission from my landlord.  I'm actually pretty excited.

I have also been looking around at little things that I can change with the things I have filled this apartment up with.  For some reason I started in the kitchen.  All I did was get knew pots and pans, dishes, and glasses and got rid of the the old ones along with anything else that I never use, and that has made such a difference.  Now, my focus is in the living room.  This is where I feel like I am going to change things the most (with little things) to represent my personality now.  I want to brighten up the place a bit more with some color.  In the olden days, I would have picked out bright colors and florals.     In my married days, the tone was darker and with more plaids.  Now, I want color, but I also want sophistication.  Thank God I have a brown, neutral sofa because my new accent color is going to be purple, like a plum and cream to add that tint of lightness.  I am going to add new curtains, pillows, and a throw to begin.  I also hope to find new lamps.  I never cared much for the ones I have, they were just a gift and I felt obligated to keep them.  However, I have had them long enough.  They and I have both done our duty.  I'm going to go shopping for these pieces tomorrow and I can't wait! 

I have a confession to make as well.  I visited Peter Lik today, the photographer.  Well... not actually him, but his gallery here in NYC.  I talked to one of the art consultants and I am actually considering purchasing one of his photos.  They are super expensive and I am hesitant, but when I see them, they just make me happy.  I was talking to someone today about this and I shared how I just love the landscape photography.  She questioned if it's because it captures life... in it's pure and simplest form.  It's fresh, it's calming, it's beautiful.... yes, perhaps she is right.  I feel like it's fresh air blowing in my face and who wouldn't want to come home to that everyday?  

The problem is, which one do you choose?  This one below is one of my favorites.  I'm surprised actually that it is, but it is.  Can you tell where the color splash inspiration comes from?  


This spring cleaning of mine has also made me put more things away.  I have rearranged some photos.  I have gotten rid of some more non-sentimental decor.  I want to replace the piece of art that was of my husband's choosing with one of my own.  One thing that I have learned more than almost anything is that he is not in things, he is in us.  It wouldn't matter if I did a complete makeover of my whole apartment, it wouldn't take away his spirit.  It's taken almost a year, many good byes, and even more tears to accept that I do not have to feel guilty about choosing to make changes to my life because of the changes that were put upon me without choice.  

As for the changes in me, I am finding that simple elegance is my taste.  I want a simple and clean living environment.  Clean, simple, fresh, bright, light, lively, warm, welcoming, and comforting... that's the kind of home atmosphere that I want for myself and for my son and for the wonderful people that enter our lives as they pass through our door.

P.S.  I did go shopping the next day, today, and got a throw, 3 pillows, two curtain panels, and two candles... all for $100.  I only painted the trim and my room already looks so much better.  I can't wait to throw on some wall paint!


No comments:

Post a Comment