Monday, April 9, 2012

Parenthood

Wow... I cannot believe that it has been nearly two weeks since my last posting.  I've had plenty to write about, it's just that these past two weeks have been tough.  So this topic, which actually is inspired by The Happiness Project theme for the month of April, works perfectly in more than one way.

These past two weeks, I have been busy recooping a very sick child and now trying to recoop myself.  I have been on the verge of sickness during this time, but haven't really budged either way.  I don't want to be sick, but this limbo state isn't good either.  I have been very exhausted.  :(

My son got sick last Saturday and I found out Monday morning from the doctor that it was a viral infection and we had to wait it out, which meant, no meds!  I had to call for reinforcements, which I don't do, but I had no choice, I couldn't miss a whole week of work.  So, my dad, who is retired, drove 8 hours to watch my son for the rest of the week.  (Thanks Dad! <3)

The worst part of being single with a child is not the late nights, the lack of sleep, or the grouchy child (and parent).  It's the worry.  There is no one to share the worry with, no one to reassure that he is going to be fine.  It's scary when your child has a fever, is crying, and you know there really isn't a whole heck of a lot that you can do to make them feel better.  If only hugs could work magic.  So I am partly recovering from stress as I am of physical exhaustion.

Funny, on one of the online dating sites that I am on, I took a quiz to find out more about my "dating personality" and I am considered "balanced."  I am balanced to the point where it can be portrayed (this is all from the website) as a negative by some because I don't overreact, I am not dramatic, and I don't get overemotional, even during circumstances where it would be somewhat appropriate or understandable if one did.  That's just me.  Rarely do I snap and I don't nag, even when I am tired and cranky.  Although I do have my moments, and that is why I am excited about this month's topic in THP.

"Lighten up" is what Gretchen has to say about parenthood for this month's goal of being a "happier" parent.  As with each month, these are the aims that she gives for this month...

  • Sing in the morning
  • Acknowledge the reality of other's feelings
  • Be a treasure house of happy memories
  • Take time for projects
As I read this chapter, I felt pretty good about it.  I am looking forward to doing some of the things Gretchen suggested and since this will directly impact my son in a positive way, I know that I will be more successful and take on this month with more gusto than I have taken this project during the past two months, oops.  (But, I seriously do want to get back on track of doing this project because I do believe in it.)  So, I decided that instead of one huge post about all these aims, I will spread them out throughout the month.  

I have mentioned before how I do take life one day at a time and how that has been a true gift.  I slow down, I appreciate the little things, and I don't stress so much.  I've lightened up.  My son is at the age where he is curious about the world around him.  He is both physically and mentally capable of interacting with his surroundings.  He is absolutely fascinated by the littlest of things and he is pure joy and refreshment for me.  He has taught me so much about life; how to live it and truly enjoy it.  The only way I know how to repay that is by creating a loving, happy, and safe environment for my son.  I am not a perfect parent, but I try to be the best parent for my son every day.  Welcome April and a whole month dedicated to becoming a better, happier parent!






No comments:

Post a Comment