Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Californ-I-A

When I first started planning this trip, it was late January.  It's hard to believe that 8 months have past and that tomorrow I will be stepping onto a plane that's going to take me and my son (and my brother) to California.  I am super excited and it's so close now that I just want to be there already.

I have to admit that I am nervous.  I am nervous about flying and I would be if I were flying alone, but am even more so flying with my son.  I feel that I am as ready and as prepared as I can be and whatever may happen on his end will just happen.  I have a bag full of new little toys, snacks, and candies.  Our flights are booked so that we will be flying during times in which he should be sleeping.  I have tried to excite him about planes by watching them in the sky, watching tv shows about them, and just hyping them up.  So, what will be will be.  Just cross your fingers that it will be all good!

We will be landing in Los Angeles late tomorrow night and will be there until Monday morning.  Honestly, we don't have definitive, big plans of any kind.  I have a list of things to do to refer to if need be.  But really, I want to go with the flow and just enjoy the change in scene.  I am not planning on doing anything huge with my son like Disneyland (we're going to do Disney World in Florida in a few years instead) or Universal Studios, etc. mainly because when I think about what he likes most, it's not that.  He's happiest in a park where he can run and at the beach with a pail and shovel so that he can build sandcastles.  So... I figure I will take advantage of the fact that he is not overly demanding in his need to be entertained.  I am not ruling anything out, but like I said, I'm just going to go with it.

I am most excited about the drive up Highway 1 from LA to San Francisco!  We will be stopping overnight along the way in Monterey which is supposed to be a great place to see whales and it has an aquarium that I plan on visiting.

Finally, SF!  We will definitely take a boat tour and see the Golden Gate Bridge.  Many people have told us to visit Alcatraz, so we'll see.

Regardless of what we actually end up doing, I am just happy and excited that I have the opportunity to take a 10 day vacation across the country.  I am happy that I can give this experience to my son and am even happier that I will be a part of it with him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment