Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall Time Traditions

September was a big month for us, my son and I.  First, he started kindergarten!  I was a bit nostalgic about the idea of my little guy being big enough to start school, but he was so ready for it.  That's not to say that I wasn't or still am nervous about all the things that go into the school years... the friends he will make, the friends he won't make, behavior, academics, bullies, yadda, yadda, yadda, and the loss of that baby innocence.  But just as everything, I/we need to take each thing, each day as it comes and remember to breathe.

September is also my son's birth month... 09/09/09.  Five years old!  That's a big one too.  Since this birthday was a big one (he's half a decade and old enough to start school) I decided to give him a gift from his father.  I have so many things of Dale's.  Some things I know I will eventually let go of.  Others, I have already planned when to give to my son.  For his 5th birthday, I gave my son an old wooden toy train set.  It was Dale's grandfather's actually.  My son was a bit confused as to how a gift could come from his father and even after explaining it, it still didn't quite set in.  But, he still loved it.  He loves trains and this was the perfect thing to give him at this time in his life.

I wanted to add on to the theme of trains and this past weekend we took a trip to Strasburg, PA aka Traintown U.S.A.  It's about a three hour drive from Brooklyn and I had enough things planned for two days, so we made it an overnighter.  John didn't come with us on this trip and even though I want him to be a part of this family in every way, there are still times when I want my son to myself.  Perhaps with time that will diminish.  But at this point, I still cherish those precious moments when it is still just the two of us.  Besides, it has become a fall time tradition of ours to get away for a weekend in the fall.

It was still too early for the leaves to have changed color and it did rain one of the two days.  But... we had a wonderful time!

First stop, The Choo Choo Barn.  Over 1700 square feet of a model train exhibit.  It was really cool, and tedious!

Second stop, The Train Museum.  Lots of old engines and cars and lots of hands on fun!


The beautiful Lancaster County.

View from the top of a silo.

We stayed at The Red Caboose Motel.  Each room was in an old car.  Yes, we got a red caboose!


Corn Maze at Cherry Crest Farms

Petting Zoo at Cherry Crest Farm... My son got to hold a baby chick (his first time) and we got to see one hatch!

This farm was awesome... the maze, rides, animals, apple cider donuts and even pumpkin pie fudge!
Oh, and the train went right through the farm.  

Our steamy train ride through The Dutch Lands.

View from the train ride... loved this tree isolated by the corn stalks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment