Friday, January 13, 2012

Just a Girl

In my last post, I shared some of my future plans and my excitement towards those future plans.  Well, plans have a way of falling apart some times.  My trip to Florida did just that.  It's amazing how timing can make such a difference.

I procrastinated.  I think I waited too long to book my trip to Florida and the prices really shot up.  However, procrastination isn't always a bad thing.  Earlier this week, I got a quote on some dental work that I need to have done, and its a pretty hefty balance even after insurance.  So, then I was left with the dilemma of what to do about this trip.  It's the least important to me of my "big three."  But it is also the only time I have planned to take a little getaway without my son (and with free care for him!).  My procrastination gave me the opportunity to think financially and to consider options, which is a good thing.  However, sometimes options can be overwhelming.  So I thought and thought all week about what to do.  And last night, a different option popped into my head.  Its a compromise, but I am still getting away and I am really excited about it...

I'm going to Vegas baby!!!

Alone.

I'm just a girl and I have rationally decided to visit Sin City all by myself, lol.  I'm a little nervous, but I have three things going for me.  One, I'm a New Yorker.  I now live by myself and am raising a child by myself in New York City.  I think I can handle Las Vegas.  Two, my friends who have been there before validated number one.  And three, I am not a night person.  I have planned a day at a spa, a day excursion to the Grand Canyon, and day #3... probably window shopping and quarter slot machines.?.  I will be there for only a few days and that's just about all I want from Vegas.

You may be asking yourself, what's wrong with this girl?  Is she a weirdo?  A loner?  Doesn't she have any friends?  Is she depressed?  Well, I may be a bit weird (in a charismatic way :)) but the answer to the rest are all no.  I've learned how to function alone and I am comfortable being with myself.  Would I rather have someone to travel with?  Definitely.  But my winter break comes at a time when most people don't have off.  And most of my friends have families of their own they are either traveling with or can't leave to join me.  So I could choose to not go because of their reasons or I could just go myself.

There is a wonderful, beautiful poem called "After A While."  I absolutely love it and I am going to post it next as its own posting because it deserves its own page.  But one of the lines from this poem reads, "You plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers."  I love that line.  You can't wait.  I can't wait.  Otherwise, life is going to pass us both by.  So I will cross Las Vegas off of my list of places to go.  I will experience two of the many wonders of the world (The Grand Canyon and The Hoover Dam).  And I will just enjoy whatever other opportunities come my way in Vegas, especially the pampering of the day spa.

I'm just a girl, trying to make the best out of what life throws at me.


No comments:

Post a Comment