Sunday, January 8, 2012

Looking Ahead

Keeping busy is a good thing.  Let me rephrase that, keeping busy with things you enjoy doing is a good thing, a very good thing.  I have even designated a whole notebook in which I entitled, "A To Do List of Things I Actually Want to Do."  Cheesy, I know.  However, I'm a cheesy person, I love lists, and I have healed enough to plan ahead and to look forward to those things to come.

Today, I just made plans with my brother to go to California this summer.  I'm super excited.  We'll be spending some time in San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.  Since the idea of this trip just popped out today, I don't have too many specific plans as to what I'll be doing once I am there.  However, I am definitely planning on taking my son to Sea World, the beach, a baseball game, and Napa Valley (okay, that one is for me!).

It's great to have something like that to look forward too.  However, August is a long ways away.  There are many days between then and now.  Many more opportunities for great moments.  In July, my parents, my sister and her family, my brother, and my son and I are also going on a little family getaway in upstate New York.  We'll be staying in a little town with a great lake and lots of green.  Since I live in New York City, I fully appreciate the green!  It will be a nice mini-vacation to just relax and to enjoy my family.

However, there are many days between then and now.  Many more opportunities for great moments.  In February, I am going to Florida for a few days.  This trip is a solo one however.  I will be leaving my son with my parents and I will be gone for four nights without the little guy.  It was a long holiday season.  Winter can be long here in New York as well.  I am looking forward to some bright sunshine and warm weather.  This is going to my little break to just completely relax and to sleep in!  I have never left my son before, but I think that it will be a good thing for both of us.  So as much as I know I will miss him, I have to admit, I'm looking forward to this mommy getaway!

However, there are many days between then and now.  Many more opportunities for great moments.  I don't have any other "big" plans, however in this upcoming month, I will be taking my son to a wonderful children's museum (tomorrow), we have a play date set up with some great friends next weekend, and in a few weeks, we will be going to see a Sesame Street performance at Madison Square Garden.

These special events that I have planned are important to me because it is part of the healing process, being able to look ahead.  I am very excited and am very much looking forward to them.  However, they will come quickly and go just as quickly.  I will enjoy each of those days, but I will also enjoy all of those days in between, the ones that do not have a special event written down on the calendar.  I am feeling very optimistic today... so who knows what those days will bring.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment