Saturday, January 28, 2012

January

Despite there being a few days left in this month, I've decided to take today to look back at this month through the eyes of The Happiness Project.  I have to admit that I am really proud of myself for all that I accomplished this month and I'd like to share that with you.

This month's focus was vitality and to help achieve this, there were five main suggestions given by the author, whom I will from now on refer to as just 'Gretchen.'  They were go to sleep earlier, exercise better, organize, tackle nagging tasks, and act more energetic.  Now, I'll give you the rundown on how and what I did.

Go to Sleep Earlier
Lol... I think I went to sleep later this past month.  My son goes to sleep around 7:30 which is a great because it gives me a good amount of "free time" each night.  However, between cleaning, picking up, doing other household chores, chatting with friends/family, blogging, and sometimes just relaxing, that time goes by soo fast.  I added go to sleep before 11:00 on my list of things to do, but I rarely check it off.  This is one area that I do want to strive to achieve because I have noticed that it effects me in the morning and prevents me from checking off things that I want to achieve in the morning to start off my day on the right foot.  Like, I would really like to sit down and eat breakfast each day with my son.  Most days I skip breakfast, so I want to actually eat breakfast for health reasons and I would like to do it with my son just for that extra time together.  However, I have a bad habit of snoozing too much.  If I went to bed earlier, I wouldn't have to snooze, I'd have more time to eat breakfast with my son, and I would have time to quick pick up before (not rushing) to work!  That would make me so much happier!!

Exercise Better
Yay!  This one I actually was successful at and I have incorporated it into my weekly routines.  I'm talking about going to they gym exercise, ugh.  Atleast that's how I used to feel.  I am taking two classes at the gym, Pilate's and Yoga Stretch.  I find both of them to be very relaxing.  I love the core and lengthening work of Pilate's and I end my week with a Yoga Stretch which just feels unbelievable. Yup, it's that good.  I also do some lighter cardio on those two days and on the third day that I go, it's straight running.  Thanks to babysitting, I am able to make it to the gym three times a week, and I feel more energetic, more confident, and even a bit more sexy.

Organize
I am not going to say too much about this one since I have already dedicated a whole posting to it.  I'll just say that organizing has helped me to feel more relaxed and comfortable in my home.  I feel that being uncluttered has helped me to spend less time picking up, which is great because it gives me more time to do other things!

Nagging Tasks
I started this month off with about 10 nagging tasks and I am going to end it with about three.  Being able to cross off seven of these tasks has been such a big relief.  Many of these tasks had been some loose ends that I needed to take care of since my husband's passing and it feels good to not have to worry about them anymore.
I won't go into details on all of my tasks, but one in particular that brought me a great amount of relief was the making of my will.  My husband and I didn't have one and it would have helped make things much easier for me when I had to take care of personal matters.  Now, making out a will was all about my son.  I wanted to make sure he is taken care of physically, emotionally, and financially and I am assured now that he will be.  It's weird, hand choosing the people you want to raise your child in your absence.  In some ways it was a difficult decision, in some ways it was very easy.  This was an area that my husband and I did discuss and I have decided to leave my son to the people that we had decided on together.  Despite having siblings, we had decided to leave our son to my best friend from high school and her husband.  All things considered, I believe at this time, they are the best people to raise my son.  I am comfortable with this decision.  I am happy with this decision.  I just hope that it will never have to come to this.  But should it, I know I will be able to rest peacefully.

Act More Energetic
I didn't really do anything specifically to tackle this one.  I figured that if I was spending so much time and energy exercising, organizing, and running around taking care of my nagging tasks then that in itself was acting more energetic.  And since I feel like this month was a success and that Gretchen would have given me a pat on the back, I would say I did good here too.

All in all, I feel like I accomplished most of what I set out to do this month.  There are a few things that will just have to roll over into the next month and there will always be a list of things to do.  However, I do feel like I am happier and I am looking forward to becoming even more happy as I continue on with this book in the remaining 11 months of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment