Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Don't Settle

Not too long ago, I wrote about my charm bracelet.  I feel silly writing about a piece of jewelry, especially a charm bracelet.  That sounds so juvenile.  But it's really not about the jewelry or the charm itself.  It's about what it represents and I do feel that is worth writing about.

I had decided that I wanted to take my time in filling up my bracelet and I have to admit that it doesn't look all too appealing dangling from my wrist at this present moment.  But since it has more sentimental value to me than appearance value, I wear it almost daily.

When I went to Las Vegas, the only souvenir that I bought myself was a charm.  That trip was so much more than just a vacation.  It was a concrete representation of how far I had come in my healing and growth and I wanted to have something to remind me of this.  So I was thrilled when I saw a Pandora store.  Even though I happened to forget to put on my bracelet that morning, and even though my bracelet is not a Pandora and I really didn't like any of the charms, I still bought one.

The image above is the charm I bought.  Not exactly what you'd think of when thinking of Vegas, huh?  In my defense, I had just returned from the Grand Canyon and was inspired by that wonderful experience.  I thought it was whimsical and would match the flower I already had.  No, not so much.  I regretted it almost as soon as I put it on my bracelet.

I settled.

I don't want to settle for anything less than what I want or deserve.  I shouldn't have to and I don't have to.  The best part... I am in complete control of that.  Part of my healing process is making sure that my mind is healthy.  And in actuality, nothing else is going to fall into place if its not.  (This blog is just one of the pieces that helps me to do just that and it has been a very powerful release for me. :))

I feel good.  I really do.  I have my moments.  I welcome them and let them pass right on through just as quickly as they arrive though.  I feel that through everything, I have been left with a stronger mindset.  I am optimistic.  I am confident.  I have a perspective on life that is invaluable... I can find beauty in the small, I appreciate the little things, I don't stress over stupid things and I am handling being a single mom with energy, patience, and complete gratitude in having the most precious of gifts.

All things considered, I am happy.  I only want to add more happiness to my life.  Settling for anything, even a charm (lol),  is not going to add to what I need and want from life.  And it's entirely up to me what I invite into my world and what I let go.

So here it is, my replacement charm.  It's called Blue Desert.  The gold bling, reminds me of the gaudy bling of Las Vegas.  The background color doesn't necessarily remind me of the desert or the Grand Canyon, but having the word desert in the name is good enough for me.  This piece complements my others and is a perfect fit.  And that's all I wanted... a significant piece that compliments.  

As for the charm I settled on... it hangs with others and it stands out as the ugly duckling.  In a way, I don't mind that it stands out.  It is the first one that catches my eye every time I look down at my bracelet.  And for now, that may just be the best thing.  As I have started to venture into dating, I want to remind myself that this more than any other area in my life is the one that I do not want to settle in.  There is too much to gain in waiting for that complimentary piece and too much to lose in settling.

Don't Settle.


No comments:

Post a Comment