Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Something is Missing

So I returned back home to New York yesterday, but what I failed to mention in yesterday's post is that I returned alone.  My son is staying with my parents until Friday when they (volunteered) to drive him back home. 

This is actually my first time in New York/home without him.  I have left my son with my parents twice before, but that was when I went to Las Vegas and the Northwest.  Being home though is different than being away without him.  I have to admit, it is weird to not have him here.  I keep catching myself looking for him and even panicking for a second when I feel that he's not there.  I am just so used to having him with me, that I truly do feel like something is missing without him. 

I can't help to admit that I have wondered how different my life would be had I been widowed without a child.  Would I have moved?  Would I have decided to teach abroad?  Would I have taken a leave from teaching or would I have gone back to school to further my career or change it completely?  Would I have had more dates?  Would I have taken more risks?  Would I have kept it together as well as I have?

I can't answer any of those questions because I do have a child.  And he is wonderful!  And I am so very, very thankful that I have him.  I don't care if I would have traveled more or if I would have had more dates or even all of the extra money that I would have had being completely single.  My son brings something to my life that is far more valuable and greater than anything else... anything else.

So while I will very much enjoy the freedom that I will have over the next few days and I will appreciate the opportunity that my son will have to enjoy our family without me, there is still a little piece missing here at home.  But, I know that we both need this separation.  It's good for the both of us.

(And... there is a particular reason that my son is spending this New Year's week with my parents.  That's because I have a date!  This will be date 6.5, lol.  So, yes... tonight I will ring in the New Year with my New Yorker.)




No comments:

Post a Comment