Monday, December 30, 2013

The Christmas Craze

The craziness that is the Christmas Season is officially over for me as I am back home in New York after spending the past week away with my family.  There were many wonderful moments and lots of great times had this past week, but there were also a few tough moments too. 

The best part about this time of year is of course all of the wonder and excitement that you can only find in the eyes of a child.  When my son opened up the one and only gift that he asked Santa for (an excavator) it truly was priceless.  He was so happy and excited, it warmed me to the bone.  He was excited about everything though... Play Doh, army guys, socks, lol. 

I think that my parents love having us home for Christmas.  It must be awesome as a grandparent to have Santa come to your house to deliver presents for you grandchild.  I can't imagine that it will always be this way.  But for the past three years it has been and I think that we are all enjoying this special time together and the memories being made. 

Three years... that is how many Christmas' it has now been without Dale.  My son and I spent last Sunday with Dale's parents to celebrate Christmas together.  My son is always so happy to see them and they always seem to know exactly what to give him to make him happy.  Three years... there is a great amount of healing that can be had in that amount of time.  And I have to admit that this past visit with Dale's family was much easier to handle.  It was easier to drive through his hometown.  It was easier to drive past the memories of our lives together (see last year's post) and what we once hoped for and what we had wanted together.  I was able to make the journey from Dale's hometown to my own with only a few tears shed. 

Life doesn't stop.  Not for any of us.  This was the first Christmas without my grandmother.  Surprisingly, my mother and my grandfather seemed to handle it as well as you could imagine.  My grandfather has taken the loss of my grandmother quite hard.  They were married for nearly 64 years, how could he not?  But he seemed to enjoy himself as he was surrounded by his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.  Grandma was still very much missed in all of our hearts though. 

I, once again, managed to find myself sick... again.  It slowed me down, but it didn't stop me from having a great Christmas.  I managed to go out one night with my dad, out to dinner in Buffalo with my brother and sister (and sibling bonding Christmas gift to one another ), out for lunch with my grandma, and I even got to play in the snow with my son! 

All in all it was a great week and I hope that you all had a great holiday as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment