Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Be Careful What You Wish For

I have encountered either in person or through some form of communication (texting/e-mailing) a wide variety of men in the past year+ since I got back out there.  Living in NYC, when I say wide variety, I mean wide variety.  However, there was one type of guy that I really wanted to go out with.  I came somewhat close once, but the date never happened.  What type of guy is this?  My version of a NYC "stereotypical" guy...
  • Lives in Manhattan
  • Well Educated/Intelligent
  • Wealthy (atleast well off)
  • White Collar Business Type Man
  • Fashionably Put Together
  • The Whip Cream:  Marathon Runner (Who doesn't run in the city?)
  • The Cherry:  Foreign (Preferably from England, because I lovee the accent so much!)
Now I know this list sounds completely shallow.  However, if I am open enough to go out and try it with all of those other men who ranged from an unemployed lawyer to an aspiring artist, why can't I hope to meet someone like my list above?  This list is not a list of what I need and want in a man, it's just one that I am curious about and interested in experiencing along with all of the others. 

Guess what?  I met him.  We even went out on a date a month ago, just before I left for my vacation.  We've stayed in contact throughout my vacation and finally meshed up our schedules for our second date on Friday! 

I met him online and I initiated contact.  When I did, I had no idea that he was so much like the man described above.  What hooked me was that in the section that asked what do people notice about him, he answered hands.  I took that to mean that he did not have sausage fingers and put my own fingers to work in saying hello.  The only other thing that I knew was that he was handsome and put together, atleast that's the impression I got from the one picture that he posted.  What I learned was that he is in fact very well educated.  Not only does he have a PhD, but he also teaches at one of the most prestigious colleges in the world (no exaggeration, I just Goggled it!).  As if that is not enough, he's moving on from that to "bigger and better?" things.  He does live in Manhattan.  He is a marathon runner.  And this was a surprise that I only learned when he opened his mouth to say hello... an accent.  Not a British accent, but an accent nonetheless.  He's lived in the US for quite some time, but he is in fact from another country.  Wow... He hit them all. 

Now this is the point where I feel bad writing this post because in many ways I feel that it is unfair to him.  And it makes me feel even shallower than it was in having that little list to begin with.  But let me tell you about the date in hopes of redeeming myself...

I was nervous and excited.  I had not felt that way in such a long, long time, and it felt great to feel something again.  He threw me off a bit when he surprised me with his accent and when he used it to tell me about what he did. I have to admit that I was a bit intimidated because I didn't really understand all that he was saying.  But it didn't take long for that to fade.  I found him to be charming, engaging, funny, quirky, and down to earth.  I had a great time and the time flew by.  Going into this date, I knew that he hit most of the marks on that list, but by the end of the date that list meant nothing really.  And... I didn't even check out his hands!  Sausage or not, the one date wonder wanted a second.  :)

So why did I title this post "Be Careful What You Wish For?" I had a great time with him and I did find him both intellectually and physically attractive enough to want to see him again.  The vibe was great, but it wasn't the vibe I was hoping for.  I hate that I am referring back to him, but when I met Jesse, I immediately felt a connection.  My word for him was warm and I had a comfortable feeling of home with him.  I'm not comparing this new guy to him, but the feeling that I want to have wasn't there.  I know it's only been one date and I could very well feel this way on Friday.  But I trust my gut and my gut was telling me something entirely different.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but just different and something that I need to be a bit careful with...


No comments:

Post a Comment