Friday, August 2, 2013

On this night...

Tonight I am in my hometown.  I am at my parent's house.  I am going to have a hard time falling asleep because of the excitement and nervousness that the new day will bring. 

Eleven years ago on this very night, I was also in my hometown.  I was at my parent's house.  I had a hard time falling asleep because of the excitement and the nervousness that the new day brought. 

Tomorrow I will be boarding a plane and taking a cross country trip all by myself to Portland and Seattle.  Eleven years ago on that very same day, I was married.  This will now be my third anniversary without him.  On the very first anniversary without him, I started the tradition of writing a card to everyone that has been so important and dear to me during that year.  It is a card of thanks and of appreciation.  I continued that tradition last year and I plan on doing it again tomorrow.  This tradition has turned "one of those days" into something very positive.  This is one of my favorite traditions that I have begun after Dale's death because it reminds me of how I felt on my wedding day.  Absolutely happy.  And nothing can ever change or take that away from me.  So there seems to be no better day than this day to share my love with the people who mean the most to me. 

However, I am now learning to embrace myself.  And with that comes embracing the present.  So I will not add on any more about what this date tomorrow once was.  Those memories are tucked away in an easily accessible place in my mind and heart.  What tomorrow brings to me in the present is another opportunity to experience something amazing.  I am so excited about this trip!  If I want to look at it from a poetic standpoint, it is coming at the most perfect of times.  In many ways, it represents to me so much of that I have learned in the past couple of years and so many of my charms are wrapped up around it.  It was just this past month that I felt that I have filled up my bracelet with enough life lessons.  At the same time I felt that I was ready to move on into a new part of my life.  This trip almost feels like that field trip that classes go on to celebrate the conclusion of some big unit or project.  Honestly, when I started to plan this trip months and months ago, I never could have foreseen any of this. 

So I am excited.  I am excited about all that I have planned.  I am also excited about isn't planned.  My best friend has planted the seed that perhaps a profound something will happen while I am on this trip.  Now wouldn't that be poetic!?! 


No comments:

Post a Comment