Monday, March 18, 2013

A Happy Soul

My son was a happy baby.  Sure he had his moments when he was overtired and cried... and cried... and cried.  But, he was a good-natured, happy baby.  I remember walking down the street, with him in front of me looking out and smiling to the world in the Baby Bjorn, and people would either walk by and smile or even stop to talk just because of my son.  There was just something about him (and I am sure many, many other babies, lol) that captivated people.  Even know, at the age of 3.5, he still carries with him a sweetness that is so pure and innocent he oozes it out at restaurants, on the subway, or on the streets.  My son will talk to and have a conversation with just about anybody (let's just forget the safety issues with that for a moment) and he just makes people smile.

However, he also possess what I am told is "normal" three year old behavior aka "the terrible threes."  I have to admit that sometimes I wonder if he is losing that baby happiness that he had and it really worries me.  I try not to think and worry too much about my son's mental health, especially now at this early age, but it crosses my mind and it is a very real concern for me.

So yesterday, my son and I were walking home from the library and he was singing and jumping as we made our way down the street.  He was doing this as we approached an old man.  The old man stopped, looked at my son, smiled, and said, "What a happy soul."  (My eyes just immediately filled with tears right now as I typed that.)  I thanked him for saying that as we passed, but not to the extent that would make that man ever realize what that comment truly meant to me.  What I want more than anything for my son is to be happy in his life.  Of course I want him to be happy with his job, marry the woman of his dreams, etc.  But the happiness I am speaking of is the happiness that comes from within.  I want him to love, honor, respect, and be at peace with himself.  That was a characteristic that his father did not possess and I wish that for my son more than anything else, inner happiness... a happy soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment