Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Survivor

Did you know that the loved ones left behind by the one who commits suicide are called suicide survivors?  I remember reading that for the first time and being somewhat shocked by what that term actually meant.  I am a suicide survivor.?.

My therapist told me that death by suicide is complicated and therefore leaves us suicide survivors with a complicated grieving process.  Even the stages of grief are different.  For most, the stages are:  Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance.  When you lose someone to a suicide, the stages are:  Shock, Denial, Guilt, Sadness, Anger, and Acceptance.  Some other emotions that may also be exhibited are those of disconnect and the stigma that surrounds a suicide.

Everyone mourns and heals in their own way and in their own time. I have been thinking about my own process lately and I feel as though there are some stages that I haven't full reached and dealt with yet and I am feeling the repercussions of that.  I don't feel as if I have skipped any intentionally, I don't know if I would be capable of doing such a mental feat even if I had wanted. I feel more as if I have been protecting myself and enough time has passed and my mind has slowly allowed myself to feel some of the emotions that were so painful that I just wasn't ready.


Although I feel that I am ready, it doesn't make it any easier or less scary.   It's amazing how powerful our mind truly is.  My mind has been protecting me for years and is very good at it.  I think that is part of the reason why I have been able to handle all of the trauma that I have experienced as well as I have.  But its time to let go.  Perhaps the reason that now is the time is because I am wanting to move on with someone else.  But I don't want to move on with someone while I am still being protected in layers.  I need to face my fears and shed the emotions that I can.  I don't think until then will I truly be able to find all that I think is to be amazing in any future relationships.   

No comments:

Post a Comment