Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Google: Friend or Foe?

It is amazing what technology and the Internet have done... one could argue that it has put the whole world in our hands, so to say.  I love my iPhone and it is probably one of the best purchases that I've ever made, sad but true.  
 
I also love Google and I use it all the time.  It truly has made me smarter and on a vast variety of topics as well.  However, I have to admit that recently I have been using Google in an embarrassing sort of way (blush, blush).  My recent history consists of any and every sort of question that you could muster up about "he loves me, he loves me not?!?!??!!"  I have Googled so many questions about relationships that honestly, I am all out.  That is probably a good thing since I feel that all of the crap information I read is going to make my head explode! 

It's not just Googling relationships that can cause you to go batty.  I have a few friends who have Googled a bit too much about pregnancy while they were pregnant... too much information can cause unnecessary worry.  I too did alot of Googling about different mental illnesses after my husband died, just searching for anything that would give me some more clarity and understanding.  I just needed the confusion to go away. 

Ignorance can be bliss, but only if you are truly ignorant. The problem with that is what happens if you wake up?  The truth can come back at you with a vengeance.   If you are in denial, then you are trying to shield yourself from the fear of the truth.  I know both too well and I want to try to avoid them as much as I possibly can.  That is why I have such a desire to gather all the information that I can.  I don't want to be ignorant or in denial.  A state to find yourself in that is just as bad is that of confusion.  The only thing that can battle those three is the truth. 

Sometimes you can find the truth out there on Google.  Sometimes or more often than not, you are finding someone else's truth.  It is good to be aware of all the possibilities, you can find hope just as much as you can find despair.  However, when it comes down to it, you have to make a decision on where you stand, what you believe with all of the information that you gathered.  What you decide all depends on your perspective and state of mind.  I recently felt with all of my Google searching that I lost my own thoughts... my optimism (exclusively in the world of dating) and it's put me in a bit of a rut.  I wonder... do you think I can Google how to get out of it?  ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment