Friday, March 8, 2013

Summertime Fun

By this time last year, I had already enjoyed vacation #1 in Las Vegas.  I already had my California trip planned and paid for as well.  This year... not so much.  I decided to take my solo trip this summer rather than in the spring.  So I did consider taking a vacation with my son this spring, but boy am I glad that didn't work out.  I had originally planned on taking a cruise with him at the end of March.  But, I procrastinated and the prices shot up.  Good thing though because after the whole Carnival Cruise debacle, I just don't think I could find enthusiasm in going on a cruise right about now.

Instead, my son and I will be joining my sister and her family in Maine for a week in the beginning of July.  We've rented a house near the ocean and I am sure we will have a blast.  I have 3 nephews (and 1 niece) and my son loves to play with them.  Even though they are all quite a bit older than my son, they play so well with him.  It will be nice to have them to help keep my son occupied.  It will also be nice to have some adult interaction for me in having my sister and brother-in-law.  I was in Maine in October of 2011 and it was a great time to be there.  However, I am sure that Maine in the summer is going to be just a nice.  I am very much looking forward to this trip!

My solo trip... will be in the beginning of August.  My parents are ready and able to watch my son for that time and I am grateful for that as I do need some time and space away from him (as he does from me) as we are together every other day of the year.  I was hoping that this year my solo trip only meant solo as in without my son.  A few months ago, my best friend and I had talked briefly about getting away for a girls' vacation.  I don't think that is going to happen.  My friend is in the process of applying and beginning a doctorate program and she doesn't think the timing is going to work.  I have to admit that I am very disappointed.  I was not only looking forward to vacationing with someone but I was also looking forward to spending some time getaway time with her as well.  So instead, I think it's going to be me... alone... again.

It's not that I am completely friendless.  Many of my friends are married, most with children.  Summer is just a very hard time to schedule things because there are so many other things going on.  I do have distant cousin who was interested in going on a trip, but I think she was interested in going to Denver.  I kind of decided that I really want to go to... Seattle and Portland!   Back in May I posted "Simple Beauty"and at that time, my new love affair with landscape photography.  I wrote about going to the Northwest in the fall, but that never happened.  So... why not now?  I have already found some great hiking tours in Washington and one in Portland that is both a wine tour and a tour to the waterfalls.  "Brilliant"or more accurately stated, that tree was also photographed outside of Portland.  Since it didn't work out and I don't have it hanging on my wall, I would love to see it in person and take my own unprofessional photograph of it.  So there are many reasons for me to pick that area and I am really excited about it.

So, so far those are my two biggies.  I'm sure there will be little day trips and weekend trips that come up as they did last year.  But, I am happy to have these getaways to look forward too!  (And hopefully, p90x will give me that great bikini bod... even though both places are really known for the their beaches, lol). 

No comments:

Post a Comment