Thursday, May 2, 2013

Raising the Roof

But not in a good way.  My rent just went up $100 this month.  It wasn't supposed to go up this year since it went up $100 last year.  However, my landlord told me that he was "forced" to raise it this year and he will again raise it another $100 next year.  That means that my rent will have gone up $300 in 3 years.  That's pretty severe. 

The truth is, I am sure he could ask even more than what I am paying and will be paying next year, if I decide to stay.  Location, location, location.  I cannot find a 2 bedroom apartment in my neighborhood for the amount that I am paying.  They run atleast $200 more than what I am now paying.  So, what do I do?

I am planning on staying put for this next year.  My son has one more year before he begins kindergarten and I plan on sending him to the same day care that he is at which also has a pre-k program.  I am all about making life easy and doing just that will make life easy for the both of us. 

However, I have some big decisions to make in this upcoming year.  The biggest decision is deciding where to send my son to school.  I need to research the public schools in the neighborhoods I am willing to move to and make a decision that will be best both for my son academically and the two of us financially.  It is also important to me to try and make life as easy as possible as well.  I need to consider before and after school programs or child care watch as I will need to commute to and from my job as well. 

Atleast continuing to stay here is still an option for me.  When the rent does go up again next year, I can find that $100 to cover it.  But, it will have to come from somewhere.  I am fortunate that I can find places to pull it from.  Also, when my son starts kindergarten next September, I will also have the extra money from not having to pay for day care.  That will help tremendously. 

Our home school right now is a pretty good school.  I just found out that we are only one block out of the zone for an even better school, bummer!  I have to admit that I am considering paying more for rent in exchange for a better school.  Growing up in the small city that I did, I never would have had to think about such things.  We all ended up at the same middle and high school.  But living here in NYC, it is a very different story.  Middle schools are very competitive and students have to apply to get into the ones they are interested in.  So, that means the education he receives in the elementary years is extremely important.

I also have to admit that I love the neighborhood that I live in.  The location is great.  I'm just next door to the "most desirable" (I know, depends on who you ask) neighborhood in Brooklyn and it is with good reason.  We are so close to parks, playgrounds, zoo, botanic garden, even Manhattan.  But most important, I feel safe and comfortable living here.  And I don't want to leave.

There are a couple of other neighborhoods that I would consider moving to.  One is the neighborhood that I actually first lived in when I moved here almost 6 years ago.  I really liked that neighborhood.  I am sure there are good schools.  Our Dr.'s offices are all in that neighborhood.  But, it feels a little isolated to me.  The other one, even more so.   Feeling isolated is a scary thought for me (perhaps that will be my next post) but I am willing to look and consider, especially when there are so many things to consider.

The good news is, I don't have to make any of these decisions right now.  I have plenty of time to explore neighborhoods, schools, apartments, and options.  It is comforting to know that I can stay right where I am as well.  Perhaps by next year it will be time to move on to a new place, maybe it will be symbolic in taking a further step into moving on in all areas of my life.   

No comments:

Post a Comment