Friday, May 31, 2013

There's No Business Like...

My Business!?!

Have you ever felt like there is more out there?  I certainly have.  I do love my job.  But I have always felt like there was more for me to do.  I have written a few (unpublished) children's books.  I have looked into freelance curriculum writing jobs.  I have a master's degree which would allow me to step outside of the classroom and work as a professional development resource to classroom teachers.

I have made none of the above a reality.  For various reasons.

One thing that I am certain of at this moment is that I do not want to leave my job as a teacher.  First, I still love what I do.  Second, I cannot give up the medical benefits and pay (retirement pension included).  Third, I love the schedule.

So, I have been thinking about what I could do simultaneously with teaching.  I could write books (I lost the passion for that at the moment, although I'd love to see my book displayed at Barnes and Noble!).  I haven't had any luck with a freelance curriculum writing job... although I've only applied to one.  Finally, I could do some professional development classes, etc. as a part time gig after school hours, but... I've never taught adults before and I am uncertain about the time (and how to coordinate that with my son and sitter).

What I love more than anything though is writing curriculum.  Right now, there is a little something called the Common Core Standards.  These standards of learning are relatively new and I am hoping to use that to my advantage.  As a teacher of technology, I do not have any specific standards to follow.  There are the NETS, which are national technology standards, but they are very general.  What I would love to do is write curriculum that aligns both the CCS with the NETS and come up with lessons and units that not only a technology teacher could use, but classroom teachers who have access to technology could use as well.

There are a ton of resources on the Internet to use.  However, that can get very overwhelming.  What I would hope to do in my curriculum writing would be to discover, explore, and report on a wide variety of resources... but most importantly, the most effective ones.   I would then incorporate it into my curriculum to make it easy for the teachers.

My lessons of course would be aligned with the standards.  I would also be sure to add in different options for differentiation.  I would have assessments... formal and informal.  I'd also make some connection to state tests.  Not because I believe in them, but just to show how the test can be incorporated into quality, engaging lessons without having to sacrifice what is truly important in the education of our children instead of teaching to the test.

How would I be different than other resources out there?  I should be able to answer that question, but I am not exactly sure.  I know that as a technology teacher, I have a difficult time finding units and lessons that incorporate all the standards mentioned above.  However, elementary technology teachers is a small audience.  I have always considered myself a classroom teacher (without a class) who happens to incorporate technology into every lesson.  My goal would be to create a technology/project based unit for each unit in science, math, social studies, and reading for each grade level, K-5.  I already have lots that I have created to work with, but I need to fine tune them for sure.

This is a big project and I would not be ready to launch it for atleast a year.  I need to get all of my stuff together and perhaps just focus in on one content area or grade level.  I also need to read up on copyright laws and even on how to make your own website.  I am familiar with blogs (duh) and wikis, but I am not sure what would be the best place to share and post all of my work.  I would be selling this.  Not for much.  But for something.

There are many sites out there where you can find lessons, units, and resources for free!  There are even some like, Teachers Paying Teachers, where there is a very small fee for resources.  I have wondered if I should start at a place like that just to see if my stuff would even sell.  And that is still a possibility.  This idea is very new to me and I haven't thought everything out yet.

I can envision though sharing all of my hard work that I have accumulated in the 12 years that I have been teaching.  I envision tweaking these lessons so that they address 21st century needs.  I envision them being able to implement.  I envision them to be engaging.  I envision an eye catching website with a possible blog to share more ideas... software, tips, questions, answers, teacher guests, etc.   I envision a new spark in my own teaching.  I envision business cards that I can share with family, friends, old colleagues, etc.... because it seems like everyone that I know is a teacher!  That would help in networking.  I envision making a couple hundred dollars a month.?.

Like I said, this idea is all so new to me.  I haven't thought it through very much.  It's all still so idealistic.  But I am very passionate about the idealism in it.  Now if I can make it a reality, that is a whole different story.

Its funny how certain life circumstances can bring out positive opportunities.  It was not too long ago that I heard on the radio that the inventor of Spanks is the worlds youngest self-made (female) billionaire!?!  Crazy.  What about J.K. Rowling, the author of Harry Potter?  Now, I am not comparing my product to theirs.  But it's worth the risk isn't it?  Especially when I don't need to worry about investing  much money into this.

This is just something that I believe in and I would like to share my philosophy and creativity with anyone who is interested, who thinks they will benefit from, and who will appreciate it... for a small price.  Hey, I am a single mom in the big city.  I don't have the boobs or the swagger for a night time job.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment