Sunday, April 28, 2013

Spring

I love the earthy smell of dirt and the sweetness of flowers at this time of year.  I love the lilacs, magnolias, and tulips.  I think spring has finally arrived here in NYC and I hope that it decides to stay!

So, I have decided to attach The Happiness Project focus for this month along with this post on spring.  Why?  Well, because the focus for this month of April is/was parenthood.  I feel like I have been a real terd of a mother in keeping my son engaged over the winter.  So, I have decided to jump back on board with keeping my son away from the t.v. as much as possible and to plan out things to keep him busy, engaged, and to provide him with lots of different experiences (if and when possible). 

Today was one of the first truly gorgeous days of spring here and we went to... the beach!  Excavators, dump trucks, backhoes, front loaders, shovel, and bucket, we had it all.  My son would play with these toys in the sand all day if he could.  This may not sound that amazing, but for a kid with no backyard, it truly is.  I also took him to Coney Island, that in itself is always an experience, lol.

Tomorrow, we are going to the Brooklyn Botanic Japanese Cherry Blossom Festival.  I love the Botanic Garden and I have a membership there.  It's easy to get lost in all of the greenery and forget you are in the middle of a city (well, except for tomorrow, it will be packed with people) and it also has the cleanest grass!  It was three years ago that my son "walked" on grass for the first time at this same event.  My son loves it here too.  They have a great childrens' section and even some programs.  And yes, they even have shovels and rakes to play in the soil.

Next Saturday, we will be going to Connecticut.  Last fall we went to CT for a train and boat ride.  Well, we are going to the same place, but this time only for a train ride, a Thomas train ride!  My son loves the cartoon Thomas the train and everything that goes along with it.  He has the toys that he is constantly playing with, books, he even uses the word "cross" when he gets upset just like Sir Topham Hat, lol.  My son should really enjoy this Thomas Day Festival and I am looking forward to seeing his little face light up as well.

The following day, next Sunday, our wonderful neighborhood playground/park is having a festival.  There will be performers, vendors, and loads of other things going on.  It is such a great playground that is so well kept up.  I want to go and support it, and my son will have a blast as well.

It's nice to have plans and to be busy again.  This past winter was hard.  It was part me and my being lazy and not wanting to go out in the cold.  It was part winter too and it being cold and there not being as many options as well.  But in the next couple of months there are some great things to look forward to doing with my son, the library has some great programs and we have been going weekly just to pick out books and to play on the computer (lol... he doesn't touch mine), play dates (I need to plan more!), and a birthday party.  I also like to pick out a couple of touristy NYC things to do with my son each year.  Next on our list is the top of The Empire State Building.  I haven't even done that yet and I want to do that soon before it gets really packed with tourists.  I am looking forward to taking him up there just to see his reaction!  We have so much to look forward to.  :)

It was about one year ago that my son started his "terrible threes" phase.  While it is still there, ho hum, I have started to see some changes.  For one, his little tantrums are not so frequent.  Also, he is telling me all the time now that he is a big boy and that certain things and behaviors are for babies.  This is telling me that he recognizes the difference between certain actions and behaviors.  He even tells me that he didn't yell or throw anything (which is what he does when he gets upset or having his "tantrum" and oh how I hate it!).  Yay, he is thinking about his behaviors and beginning to control them himself!  But I have also learned that he is a good actor.  He is very good at "pretending" to be "cross" but as soon as I poke his belly like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, try as he might, he just can't hold that smile in.

I think that is so important, being able to read your child.  I think that I am fairly good at doing that.  That makes me feel good because I think in order to truly know someone, you must spend quality time in getting to know them.  It's not just about the trips to the beach and CT, it is more so about spending quality time together.  I hope that I can continue to do this with him and to not use lame excuses like the weather to cut down on it.  There is so much that can be done just within the home that is quality time where you don't have to spend a penny.  I am all for that kind of quality time as well, but with spring, comes a reawakening.  It is long overdue and I am so happy to be able to change things up a bit, get out of the house more, and spend that time with my son.

My parenting focus that I will take with me beyond the next couple of days left of April will be that of spending quality time with my son.  I also want to remember to relax so that when he does have a "terrible threes" fit, I don't escalate it.  When I am calm, he gets bored with his fit quickly.  Oh, and one more thing.  I really need to appreciate more all of the talking that he does.  My god, this kid talks and talks and talks and talks... And asks SO many questions of why, which direction?, why, and he is a backseat driver that puts my mother to shame!  He is so funny and I love him to pieces, I need to try not to get short with him after his upteenth question in a two minute span.  One day, I will miss it.

Springtime.  Lots to look forward to.  Lots to appreciate in the moment. 


No comments:

Post a Comment