Tuesday, April 23, 2013

To Live


It is taking risks.  It is letting go of fear.  It is experiencing life.

This may very well be my favorite scene in any movie that I have ever seen.  When Good Will Hunting came out in 1998, I was in my freshman year in college.  I entered as a math major, hoping to teach.  But as with so many freshman, I was having my doubts as I fell in love with psychology.  How ironic that this movie in some ways pins math and logical reasoning against psychology and the human spirit.  Psychology won out and I feel that was a pivotal point in my life.  Had it been math that won out, I would have pursued a teaching job which at that point there was a real need for in Rochester.  That would have ensured job security and I never would have moved to Virginia.  The course of my life would have been completely different.  I say that without regret just as a matter of fact.  Moving to Virginia was a big risk.  It led to so many life experiences both good and bad.  But I was living my life.

I was inspired today to post this clip not because of the above, but because of some happier news like I promised earlier today.  It is official... I am going to the Northwest this summer for my solo vacation.  I'll be gone for 6 days and will be splitting my time between Portland and Seattle.  This trip is meaningful to me for a variety of reasons.  I've been hesitant about booking because, well... I don't know why exactly,  perhaps the cost, perhaps I was hoping it wouldn't be solo... But then I realized that I need to take advantage of what is in front of me... my parents are more than happy to watch my son and he will be more than happy to stay with them, this trip will not put me into debt, and being solo means I have to make no compromises.  I can go and do whatever I want to do on this trip.  And the first thing I am going to do is... visit a tree.  Almost one year ago, I bought a very expensive piece of fine art, Brilliant.  Long story short, it arrived damaged, I took the refund, still big empty space on my wall.  That tree that I will be visiting is the very same tree from Brilliant.  But I will get to see it through my lens, not someone else's.  It will be my experience.  It was almost a year ago that I posted Simple Beauty, in which I shared my plans (at that time) to visit Maltonomah Falls, also near Portland.  Those plans never developed, but the first thing I booked after my flight, was a tour to see those falls (winery stops and tastings included, woo hoo!). Another experience.

When I took my trip to Las Vegas in February of 2012, I discovered and fell in love with landscape photography.  I still love it.  But nothing can replace the actual experience of witnessing it yourself.  I am fortunate to have the means to travel to see some of these places for myself.  I also think it takes bravery in letting go of fear and taking risks in living... in living the life you want to live. 




No comments:

Post a Comment