Sunday, January 12, 2014

At No Other Time

Were our paths ever to have crossed at any other point in our lives,  I doubt that either one of us would have considered the other.  I even felt it on our first date.  For no reason, I felt that had I met him at any other time other than right then, he would have been one of the many good time dates that never saw a second.

As I begin to get to know him better and learn more and more about him, I realize that those initial thoughts actually have some validity... We are very different people who have led even more different lives.  I think I was also right on when I wrote the post, "Stepping Outside of My Comfort Zone."  I think with him I will see different things, try new things, and most pushing of all... let go of old thoughts and perspectives and take on new ones.

I am an intimate person.  I keep a small group of people close to me.  It has been a challenge for me to add on an extra outer layer of friends that I can sustain a relationship with without having them in my inner circle.  In many ways, I am a loner.  I function well alone and am not afraid to be alone (although I hate the term loner).  I met Dale a month shy of my 19th birthday.  I got married when I was 23 and I was with him and only him for almost 14 years.  During that time, we did not do anything wild and crazy.  We backpacked through Scotland, we moved alot, we went out occasionally with friends, we spent most of our time together hiking, kayaking, antiquing, taking small day trips.. just the two of us.

New Yorker is social.  He does have an inner circle of his most important peeps.  But he has a vast outer circle that he isn't afraid or shy about tapping in to.   He is 40.  He has never been married.  He definitely lives the life of a bachelor.  He was a frat boy in college.  A class skipping, hard core party boy.  He did have a job after college, but also bar tended and lived a late night life for many years.

My view of him probably would have been extreme.  His view of me probably would have been boring.  I doubt neither one of us would have given the other a second thought had we met earlier in our lives. 

Now, I am looking for someone who is social.  I want someone who has friends.  I want a relationship that is not isolated.  I also want to feel more alive.  I don't feel the need to jump out of a plane to do that.  Nor do I feel that partying and getting wasted is the way either.  But, I would like to meet more people, see different things, and try new things that I didn't do earlier in my life.  Some of these things I didn't do because I didn't have the opportunity to do them.  Some of these things I didn't do  out of a lack of confidence, sometimes out of a lack of money, perhaps out of a  lack of friends in my life, and most likely of all, fear. 

He is excited because he knows that there's so much to show me and he wants to.  Combine that with my last post and that makes for something potentially amazing.  I like how the past doesn't seem so relevant.  It only led us to the present and it's the right now that matters most. 








No comments:

Post a Comment