Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Little Things

I truly believe that it is the little things that matter most in life.  They are the special things that we give to one another that don't come with a price tag.  They are the gifts that come from within another and that is where their beauty lies.  It seems unfair to call them little things because when you have been touched by one, it makes you smile both in and out.  And if that is the effect that it had on you, then you know that it came from a place where someone took the effort to put in a great deal of thought and kindness just for you.

For me, it was nice to have felt and to have experienced some of these little things from a man once again.  It was nice to be complimented, to feel a warm hand along my back, to get a little kiss on the forehead.  It was also nice to find someone who was patient and understanding, someone who made me feel comfortable and made me feel like I was completely accepted as I took a step further out into the unfamiliar territory of dating. 

These little things add up to a whole lot.  They can be looked at as the foundation for building trust, communication, respect, loyalty, and all of the other important building blocks needed for a solid relationship.  So call them little, but don't let that determine their significance. 

Back in the 90's I was a big Bush fan.  No, not George... Gavin.  Gavin Rossdale.?!  One of their big songs back in was "Little Things" and to quote a verse, "It's the little things that kill..."   And how true that is.  Just as those little things can help build a solid foundation, take them away and what was built can easily crumble.

For me, communication is my Achilles heel.  I know that I need to get over my... shyness?, fear?,... whatever it may be and become more vocal and share my thoughts, questions, concerns more freely.  I lived once through the devastation that is can lead to when it breaks down and that is a path I refuse to walk down again.  So I have and still do make a conscious effort to make sure that I am communicating as I need to be no matter how uncomfortable it has been sometimes.  I also know that it's not just one sided.  I expect the same openness in return.  And that has been a big issue in the relationship that I have been in.  There have been many times when I was left feeling in limbo because communication broke down. 

It starts off small with little things.  After a while, those little things add up and it seems as though the whole system of communication breaks down.  But it doesn't stop there.  Everything is so intertwined that when communication breaks down it leaves you wondering what you can trust and where the respect is.  This is where I have been for the past few days, not knowing what was going on because of a lack of communication.  And try as you will to not make assumptions, you cannot deny the fact that a snowball effect is potentially in motion. 

Little things.  Appreciate them.  And don't forget about them.  They mean so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment