Saturday, January 26, 2013

Needs vs. Wants

I have a friend with whom I have had a number of conversations with on the topic of needs vs. wants in a relationship.  We've talked about our own relationships, relationships that our family members and friends are or have been in, and even relationships we have seen on t.v. (lol).  I think it's important to be able to distinguish between the two.  I view the wants as the things that can be compromised and overlooked... trumped, if you will, by a man's (or woman's) ability to meet your needs.

Over the course of the past year, once I really began to find and define myself once again, I gave a great deal of thought as to what my needs are.  Some came to me immediately.  Some I have learned along the way.  I have yet to not only share them, but to put them into any type of official written text.  This seemed to be a fitting text to follow yesterday's.  So here we go...

My Needs in a Relationship
  • I need for my man to be mentally stable.  I need for him to be able to have a positive outlook on life no matter what it may throw at him or us.  I also need for him to have that inner peace within himself where he is happy with who he is and the life he has created and lived.
  • I need for my man to view and to love my son as his own.
  • I need for my man to be respectful.  I need for him to respect me.  I need for him to respect other people as well, a gentleman.  
  • I need to feel safe and comfortable with my man.  I need for him to genuinely accept me for who I am, flaws and all, without ever making me feel that I need to change or compromise myself for him or the relationship.  I also need to feel safe in trusting his words, intentions, and actions.  I need to feel comfortable so that I can truly let go and be me and to share myself completely, both emotionally (communication) and physically (yes, great sex!).  
  • I need for my man to be actively engaged.  I need someone who is present and who takes an active role in the both our relationship and in the relationship with our child(ren).  I need someone who has the confidence and independence to take initiative on their own.  I need for him to be able to enjoy life and to be able to see and appreciate the small things.  I need for him to be able to find balance between family, friends, hobbies, and work. 
  • I need for my man to be responsible and reliable.  I need to be able to rely on him and his word.  I need for him to value what he says and stick to it.  I need for him to be financially responsible too.
  • I need to be given freedom.  I need the space to continue to work on myself and to grow as a person.  
  • I need to feel adored by my man.  I need to have a relationship that is more than functional.  I need a man who views me as his amazing.

My Wants in a Relationship
  • I want someone with a sense of humor and who can make me laugh.
  • I want someone whom I find physically attractive. 
  • I want someone who is confident, not arrogant.
  • I want someone who makes more money than me.  
  • I want someone who is well rounded, someone who will go to a Yankee game and a Yo Yo Ma concert with me. 
  • I want someone warm, sweet, and affectionate. 

Am I missing anything!?!  What are your needs and wants???  I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment