Sunday, May 13, 2012

Brilliant


This piece is in fact called Brilliant and it was taken by a photographer that I am not very familiar with and I have not yet mentioned here on this blog.  His name is William Carr.  However, this piece, Brilliant, is mine.  That's right, I purchased this piece today.

I have been contemplating for a couple of months now whether or not to actually purchase a piece of fine art photography.  I love it and it makes me happy.  It's more than just that though.  It is something that I have found solace in.  It's comforting, it's peaceful, it has eased my mind and has thus been a part of my healing.

I had been searching Peter Lik's collection, searching for that one piece that spoke to me.  I find so many of the the images to be absolutely breathtaking and beautiful that it was hard for me to make a decision.  Then just the other day, it came to me...

A tree.  I wanted a tree.  Before my husband passed away, I had been talking to him about getting a tattoo of a tree.  We had talked about our love for trees, their beauty, and how trees symbolize life.  It seemed perfect.  I never did get that tattoo and I am not sure now if I ever will.   However, trees also came up again with his mother after his death when she shared with me how my husband described trees to her during a conversation.  He viewed them as a comfort.  Their branches hanging full of leaves like arms that seemed to stretch out wanting to hug and to comfort.

I did in fact find a piece by Peter Lik called "Inner Peace."  When I saw the picture and read the name, it hit me.  That was the one.  Not only is it gorgeous, it is symbolic in so many ways.  So, this morning I went to the Peter Lik gallery to see this piece in person.  It is magnificent. While I was there, I decided to look at other pieces as well.  While all beautiful, I didn't fall in love with any of them.  However, what I did find was that I loved certain elements in each of the ones that I viewed.  I loved the refreshing emerald green grasses and leaves.  I loved the warmth of the red fall leaves.  I loved the sun glimmering through the leaves and the rays that made its way through.  I loved the focus on one tree.  What I realized was that "Inner Peace" didn't have all of those elements either, but "Brilliant" did.  I was very nervous to commit, but once I did, I didn't have a sliver of regret.

This piece is not about owning a fine piece of art.  It's not about being materialistic.  It's not about having a conversation starter when people come over.  The professionalism and quality of this work are appreciated in that it truly makes this piece come to life when it's viewed in person.  But it's so much more than that.  It's about coming home everyday to something that will make me happy and smile.  It's about simple beauty.  It's about finding a link that can connect my old life with my new.  When I look at this piece I am reminded of memories of my husband.  However, I also see what I envisioned when I started this blog and entitled it "Glimmering Through Aspen."  I see a future.  I see hope and I see optimism.  I feel that this piece puts so many of the pieces of my life that seemed to have been scattered back together again.  And it's beautiful.  Simply beautiful.





2 comments:

  1. I, too, bought "Brilliant" just today (October 6, 2012) at an art show. It is a mesmerizing piece, and William's eye for composition is exquisite. It now hangs in my living room. I hope that yours continues to bring you solace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately for me, Brilliant arrived to me damaged and as it turned out I ended up being refunded rather than receiving a replacement piece. It is a gorgeous piece and I hope that yours brings you much joy. :)

      Delete