Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Part IV

I am at a crossroad.

If my life were a book I would say that Part I would consist of my childhood days.  Part II would have begun when I went off to college.  That's where I met my husband and my life with him began.  Part III began the day he died.  Just moments ago when I began to write this, I was thinking that I was about to turn to a new chapter in Part III, but that doesn't feel quite right.  I think these past two years have been huge.  They have been so significant that a part of my life dedicated to them would not be unjustified.  So now I am at a crossroad.  I feel that it is time to move on to the next part of my life.

I would have thought that the next part of my life would have begun when I had someone to begin it with.  That's not true.  And as I have shared in my last post, that is what I desire most.  However, that doesn't mean that meeting someone is more significant than anything else in my life.  I knew that Part III was going to be all about healing.  It was going to be about self discovery and finding myself.  I feel that I have done that.  I have found my core and I have confidence it in.  It's time to move on. 

What is both equally exhilarating and frightening about Part IV is that I have absolutely no idea what it is all about.  I can't give this part a title... it will have to wait until the end to be named.  I am hoping though that this time is going to dance around what I wrote in my last post... "Let go.  Be light.  Enjoy life.  Have fun."  Even though I am happy and I do enjoy life, I have been dealing with very heavy issues.  It really is time to let them go.  I need to release them from my head and my heart.

Moving on... its a scary thing, whether or not you know what you are moving on to.  When I look back at these past 2+ years of my life, especially through this blog, I realize that one thing that I needed was reassurance.  I needed a place to express myself, but I also needed to reassure myself of my thoughts and feelings.  I can see that when I remember and feel myself repeat certain things over (and over) again.  But I needed that.  I needed to feel the comfort of hearing things repeatedly.  There were times more recently when I feel like my posts were pulling away, that they didn't belong in Part III, but I would try and balance them out by writing another post to offset it.

What do I mean by that?  One post in particular that comes to mind is "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen."   When I think about it, I am kind of embarrassed by it.  I have wanted to remove it, but I haven't for this reason... It is childish, it is silly... It was light.  Even though what inspired it was an event that didn't make me happy and I had plenty of analytical thoughts (I just can't get rid of those!), my behavior was just different.  It was as if I had let my hair out... does that make any sense?  It felt good.

I have often felt guilty when I would write post after post and it seemed that mentioning my husband or that I missed him or I don't even know was left out and it made me feel guilty.  Guilty that I could write about more trivial things.  But I need to let go of that.  It has been over two years.  I know that things will pop up and I will want to mention something in relation to him or my past.  But... I feel now that its okay if long spans of time pass without doing so.  That doesn't mean that I don't think about him or that I don't miss him or that I don't love him... It means that I have finally, finally been able to sort through everything and have been able to put all that I need to in a special place and contain it.  It does not need to leak into or feed into every part of my life.  It does not define me.   I am comfortable with that now and it is time to move on to the next part of my life. And one thing that I need to stop doing is stop calling him my husband.  He was and I will remember him as, but I have to let that go too.  Part of my being anonymous for this entire time was to preserve privacy and honor, mainly for him and for my son.  However, if I no longer will be referring to him as my husband, I feel its dishonorable to call him anything other than his name.  Dale.  My husband's name was Dale.  A name lives on and that is what I will from now on call him. 

Without even realizing it, I have already moved into it somewhat with some of my latest posts.  I can't say that I am entirely happy to be looking back now at Part III, but I am looking forward to what Part IV has in store for me.  It is time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment