Thursday, July 18, 2013

We All Have It

It comes in all shapes and sizes, but it is something that we all have.  Some of us acquire it at far too young of an age.  But if you are one who feels that you don't to have it, then what have you been doing with your life?

Throwback Thursday #4 comes from March 2012 and what we all have is... Baggage.  I actually think a better term may be shit.  We all have or have had some kind of shit going on in our lives.  It varies and can vary tremendously.  It becomes baggage only when we cannot handle it to the best of our abilities and it weighs us down.  I actually still agree with what I wrote about baggage.  But, when I wrote this post over a year ago, I was still so traumatized that even though I knew other people had tragedies and hardships in their lives and some people live in that world on a day to day basis, my own was still center stage. 

When I look around at just the small circle of people that I know in this giant world I see people who fight and struggle with their "shit" just like me.  I work with an energetic woman who enjoys life and wants to experience it all, but she is slowed down by multiple sclerosis.  She has to battle that everyday and as hard as she fights, it is slowing her down.  I also worked with another woman whose daughter was born with cystic fibrosis and has had countless operations before the age of one.  This child requires special medical care and medications daily and that is something that will never change.  This woman seems to be upbeat and positive.  She walks and runs for CF charities and I think that this experience with her daughter has given her a deeper understanding of how beautiful and precious life is.  When I lived in VA my neighbors were a military family.  The father was a Navy Seal and was deployed constantly. The mother had four children.  One was mildly autistic and another had Down's Syndrome.  She was the sweetest woman and she never gave off the impression of how tiring and lonely her job as a military mom must have been.  I thought she was incredible.  These are just three examples, but I know of other friends and family members that have their own issues that they are dealing with as well too.  And I am sure that there is just as many, if not more that are kept private and I have no idea about.  We all have it and it certainly does come in all shapes and sizes. 

My story is very different from anyone that I know.  All of our stories are different.  It can be very lonely when no one can truly understand the road we have walked on unless they have walked it themselves.  It is not comforting to know that other people suffer too, but it is a comfort knowing that you are not alone in knowing what heartache is and what struggles are and how to fight from the depths of your soul.

Mine is no longer center stage.  It is a part of me.  It has shaped me.  But it does not define me.

So as I have revised my throwback post just a bit... I also have another version of "We Move Lightly" to share as well.  Enjoy!  And P.S.  That man had a heartbreaking story.  Devastating.  I think that he was a man of great character and strength.  We never did go out, but I think that was actually a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment