Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Secret

I first heard about this from Oprah years ago.  But it was never a book that I sought out when I began my soul searching, spiritual journey last year.  I read The Alchemist and The Four Agreements and they both made an impression that helped me to better define my beliefs.  So even though I had heard of The Secret and I knew that people were reading and believing, I didn't take that route.  Perhaps that is the reason why I didn't take that route.  It seemed more of a fad and I tend to veer in the opposite direction of fads. 

However, when I was in Maine, the one and only book that was in the house we rented was The Secret.  Since I didn't bring anything more than a few Cosmo magazines to read, not only was I in need of a book, but I was drawn in by temptation as well.  What is the secret?

The secret is The Law of Attraction.  Essentially, it is the power of positive thinking over negative thinking.  And when I began to read this book, I could make so many connections with what I believed and what I have experienced myself. 

I believe in the power of positive thinking.  I believe that the perspective it gives to us (or that we attract) allows us to see opportunities and blessings that we may have otherwise overlooked.  I also believe that once you are on this path and you experienced this first hand, it starts to build in you a faith that good things/ a silver lining/ call it what you will, can be found.  And you start to look for more and before you know it, it seems as if you don't have to really look for it, it has always been right there.  Everything that you needed was really there all along. 

The Law of Attraction is about energies.  That is something that I also believe in and something that I will one day devote a whole post too (I've been working this one in my head for some time now).  We all have an energy.  We all give off an energy.  We can even pick up on other people's energies and can be either attracted or not attracted to a person based solely on their energy.  It's that powerful.  It's actually more powerful that that.  This is what drives our thinking... our positive or negative thinking.  That thinking is what takes us on our individual paths in life. 

As I read deeper into the first few chapters, I felt pretty good.  I felt good in that I wasn't some delusional woman (or atleast I'm not alone, lol) who believes in the power of her thoughts.  It hasn't always been easy to maintain and sometimes I repeat myself repeatedly, especially on this blog, but I have told myself what I needed to in order to get through the very tough times and bumps in the road along the way.  There are times when pieces just seem to fall into place and like the book said you can attract what you need, even the smallest of things that most wouldn't give a second thought about.  I remember when I posted about The Alchemist and how I felt that I found and read it at a perfect time.  I have posted about my situation with my apartment and my job and my son's day care location, etc.  many times and how it all has worked out to make my life and adjustment alone all the easier.  There have been countless songs, movies, and people that have passed through my life that seemed to have done so at precisely the right moment to make the most impression onto me.  So like my posting The Scientist and what I just wrote in paragraph #4, these pieces seem to be all around.  

Sometimes though I do think that I am that delusional woman who does just tell herself what she needs to hear to make it through the moment, the day, even life.  But then I ask myself what's wrong with that? I am not rocking in a chair staring out the window, I am not drowning my sorrows in drugs or alcohol, and I am not projecting or forcing my beliefs onto anyone else.  It's just for me and for me it makes life seem more meaningful, magical, and purposeful... beautiful despite all the ugliness and darkness. 

I never finished the book.  I didn't like that alot of what I thought was in a fad book like that.  I also didn't believe in alot that was in it too.  Like... if you think about becoming rich and send all of your positive energies into the universe... you will in fact become rich.  I do believe coincidences.    I also believe its the actions that your thoughts bring you to do that will cause a desire outcome, like working hard and smart and being dedicated.  Another example was with bills.  I cannot think my bills away.  My debts are my debts and if I continue to spend more than I have, I will forever be in debt.  I can make different choices to not acquire more debt, but I cannot wish a bill away that has already been created by my choices.  Or maybe I missed some of the points about these examples because by the 4th chapter I was content in just reading the summaries at the end.

The Secret... I can't say it added to my thoughts or beliefs, but it did make me think more about them.  I need them... my beliefs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment