Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Keepsakes

Weather has always been a trigger of memories for me.  Whether its the way the breeze brushes your cheeks, the earthy smell of spring, or a misty Sunday morning... it has always brought back memories.  Today was one of those days.  It was a gloomy, rainy day.  It has actually been pretty gloomy and rainy all week, but today it decided to remind me of my trip to Scotland.  A happy memory, a very happy memory.

Our trip to Scotland was my engagement present to Him.  Yup, that's right.  I got a ring, he got a plane ticket.  The year was 2001.  The month was June.  I was a recent college graduate who was also recently engaged.  We had decided to embrace our age, the European culture, and the moment and we backpacked it!  We even stayed in hostels.  That is something that I would never do again (not because it was a bad experience, I just feel too old for that now) and that's what made it so awesome.

We flew into London, which I loved, but only stayed a few days because our real destination was Scotland.  We visited Edinburgh, Inverness, and Sterling and we traveled through Great Britain by train.  I fell in love.  The land was gorgeous, breathtaking actually.  The coast, the rolling green land, it was fantastic.  I loved the castles and the architecture.  I loved the language and seeing men walking around town in kilts.  I loved it all because I was happy.  I was happy because I could see how happy He was.  He was part Scottish and he had always wanted to visit Scotland.  I was so happy to be the one to experience this complete bliss of his with him.

While we were there, He picked up a kilt with his family's plaid that he had pre-ordered before our arrival.   He wore that kilt on our wedding day as did all our groomsmen.  He was always so proud and happy to put on that kilt.  Now, that kilt is one of the precious mementos that I have to pass on to our son.  I also look forward to the day when I can bring my son to Scotland.  I want to share with him what his father and I shared together.  I want him to have this experience so that he can feel a certain closeness with his father.  To take a deep breath of air from this foreign land, to look around, and to see what his father once saw.  

***

I am so happy that we shared a son.  My husband had so many special keepsakes that are more easily passed down from father to son.  Besides the kilt, there are watches, rings, ties, books, a gorgeous model ship, and even a family bible dated back to the mid 1800's.  While I wish I didn't have to share with my son who his father was in this way, I am truly grateful for the photos, letters, stories, and mementos that I do have so that my son will grow up knowing who is father was.  He was unique and he possessed so many wonderful qualities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment