Thursday, May 31, 2012

Isn't it Ironic?

I was very much looking forward to writing today's post.  I knew what the topic was going to be for this last day of May and I have to admit that I have been thinking and reflecting on my thoughts as to what I was actually going to put down for a few days now.  However, that plan was interrupted...

Today, Brilliant arrived!  I knew that it would be arriving any day now and I was extremely excited for it's arrival.  So, when I saw the FedEx tag hanging on my door, I was both happy (that it was here) and sad (that I actually missed the delivery).  However, at just about the time I reached my front steps, a neighbor from about 4 houses down came over and told me that he had my delivery.  Now, this may sound like a nice gesture, however, Brilliant is both huge (55.5 in. x 42 in. and 40 pounds) and expensive.  I was a bit upset that it was left with this neighbor because it was supposed to be directly delivered to my home.  However, this neighbor and I walked the package down the street and up to my apartment.

I was sooo excited, but I didn't want to open it up until my son was asleep.  I didn't want to take any chances of having anything happen to this artwork.  So, I had to wait a few hours until it was bedtime.  I kid you not, as soon as his little peepers were shut, I ran to my package and opened it up as if it were Christmas!

It is really gorgeous.  I haven't gotten the full effect yet because I haven't taken it out of the box.  I haven't taken it out of the box because one of the corners is damaged!  It is framed in a recess mounting (no wooden frame around it) and the top right corner is cracked.  I contacted the sender right away and he was very upset as well and is going to work with me.  I also contacted FedEx and filed a claim.  I don't know when the damage occurred, but it may just work out that leaving it with my neighbor might give me a more solid case.  So, I spent this night contacting the sender and contacting FedEx and just being so disappointed.

The irony... I bought "Brilliant" because when I look at it, I see my life put back together again.  It makes me feel as if all of the pieces that once seemed to be scattered all found there way back home.  So isn't it ironic that a piece that I found to be so sentimental in representing my one life came to me broken?  I can literally see the broken pieces of the frame.  But, they are still in tact and the actual photograph, the core, has not been broken or damaged either.  Hmmmm.......

No comments:

Post a Comment