Tuesday, May 29, 2012

One Life

This weekend while I was in my hometown visiting my parents, I stopped by to visit my best friend.  I have known her forever.  She has been there for me in so many ways, not just this past year, but over the past 20 years that I have known her.  I love her and respect her and always look forward to chatting with her.

We talked about many things, but one thing that she asked me is if I look at my life as "old" and "new."  She was surprised when I quickly responded that I do view my life that way.  I refer to my memories and reflections of the past as my "old life" and everything else as my "new life" quite frequently on this blog.  Today, I had a different thought.

I was in my old neighborhood today.  I went to the doctor and then I walked around afterwards.  I had forgotten how nice that neighborhood was and I really enjoyed walking through it.  Obviously, it brought back memories, not only of my husband, but of our dogs too because I had walked them soo much around this neighborhood in the three years that we lived there.

I had some extra time before I had to be back (my babysitter was with my son today) and so I decided to go to the nearby park, get some ice cream, and sit on a bench.  As I sat on the bench I thought back to the conversation that I had with my friend about splitting my life between old and new.

Not too long ago, in my post Brilliant I wrote about how to me, this piece of art makes me feel as if I have put all of the pieces of my life back together again.  ALL the pieces.  When I wrote that, I truly meant that and believed that.  So, as I sat on that bench today, I thought about all of the pieces of my life.  My life.  I am just one and I have just one life to live and it is mine, all of it.  There is no old or new.  All of my past experiences have played apart of who I am today and who I will be tomorrow.  So in many ways, my past is still very much alive in me.

My life has changed in so many ways.  But there is one constant factor, me.  I will no longer refer to my life as "old" or "new."  I have worked so hard to pick up all of the pieces (the good, the bad, and the ugly) to help me find myself and to move on.  I couldn't have done it without all of the pieces.  My new life needs the wisdom and knowledge (that can only be gained through experiences) of my old life.  I am becoming more comfortable baring my scars because they are a part of me.  I am becoming more comfortable being proud that they did not break me.  I am a stronger, smarter, and more confident woman now and I will no longer distinguish and label pieces of my life.  They all belong to the same one life, mine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment