Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Swept Away

I met my husband when I was just about a month shy of turning nineteen.  I was a freshman in college and he was a senior.  We went to a very small college, a place where it was hard to get lost in the crowd.  I had first noticed him because he always smiled at me.  It was the smile and his hair, it was long, that made me notice him.  I remember one day going down to get my mail and he was coming up.  We didn't talk, just smiled.  But for the next week, I went to get my mail at that exact time, hoping to run into him again.  (I didn't.)

Our next encounter happened on a Friday night.  I didn't go out that night.  I was in my room wearing bright orange sweats with "Syracuse" down the leg and a green sweatshirt.  To say I was a hot mess would be an understatement.  I was watching "Saturday Night Fever" and ordered a pizza.  I toted my hot ass down to the lobby to pick up that pizza and who was there, the long haired guy with a smile.  And he did just that when he saw me.  He let me get my pizza first, and I was so embarrassed by the way I looked, I apparently didn't say "thank you" or anything else for that matter because he always made fun of me about that afterward.  I just grabbed my pizza and ran back upstairs.

We actually met (and spoke!) when my suite mate got a new roommate who was friends with my husband.  He helped her move in and there we both were.  I do not remember what words were spoken.  But I remember two things, what I was wearing and that he took me away.

Keep in mind that the year was 1997.  I was wearing olive green corduroys and a white button down oxford that was tied in the front, just to show off a tease of my belly.  Oh, and Keds.  How could I forget the Keds? Lol.

He took me away that night.  The words that I do remember came from him telling me about a trip abroad that he took that summer, only months ago.  He had gone on an archaeological dig in Europe.  For some reason he had some pictures with him and as he spoke about this foreign land that I didn't particularly have interest in ever visiting, I listened attentively and let him sweep me off of my feet.  He was so amazingly smart and interesting.  He was different than all of the other guys that I had met in college and that I had known in high school.  He was who I was looking for and the reason why I never dated before.

I didn't know it at that moment, but looking back, it was love at first sight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment