Saturday, June 29, 2013

Summer... Summer... Summertime...

(You have to read the post title in a sing song tone... think Will Smith's song "Summertime.")   :)
Okay, so now that school is officially over, it is officially summer!!  The best way for me to spend summer is to keep busy, busy, busy.  Funny that the busier I keep, the easier it is.  Why?  Well... first off, I love my son.  I do, more than anything.  And I am so appreciative that I have two months off to spend with him.   I am also fully aware that the majority of jobs out there wouldn't allow me this most wonderful time of the year and in no way am I complaining.  Buuuut... lol, it is hard.  This is the exact reason that I could never be a stay at home mom.  It is nonstop and it is exhausting.  And since I am doing this myself, it makes it all the more.  I found this out last year and was completely exhausted by the end of August and was so ready to go back to work.


I have made some adjustments this year after my first summer alone last year and I am hoping that it helps.  Like... I have waited to take my solo vacation until the summer.  From August 3-9 I will be in Portland and Seattle, yay! and my son will be playing in the dirt and with his cousins as he spends that time with my parents.  It has been a long stretch as there has not been one single day since  February '12 where we have not seen each other.  I may not have always been the one to put him to sleep or to have woken up with him, but we have spent time together every single day.  It's not that I am looking forward to not seeing him, but I am looking forward to some separation... It's good for the both of us. 

In one week from today, my son and I will be up in Maine for a week.  We rented a house with my sister and her family.  I have no idea what we are going to be doing.  Lol... I'm not even sure where exactly I'm going, my sister made all the reservations.  All I know is that there will be sand, water, and three boy cousins for my son to play with.  And for me, my sister and brother-in-law... adult conversations and company on a daily/nightly basis for 7 days.  Yippee!

All in all, half of my 8 weeks off will be here in New York City, the other half will be divided among Maine, The Northwest, and Buffalo.  So in my 4 weeks here in New York, this is how I hope to keep busy...

With My Son
  • Botanic Gardens
  • Zoos
  • Aquarium
  • Central Park/Prospect Park
  • The Beach
  • Playdates
  • My touristy attractions for this summer:  The Empire State Building and Governor's Island
  • Pre-K Story and Art Program at the library
  • Music and puppet shows in the neighborhood
Without My Son
  • Botanic Gardens
  • Dinner/Going Out with Girlfriends
  • A Date (or a few :))
  • Wandering aimlessly through city, lol
  • Attend an outdoor concert
I also have a few big goals to accomplish over the summer.  The first one is to complete and order photo albums.  I have a few started, but I must, must, must finish them.  I also need to organize my financials.  When I am 90 and can finally retire, will I remember that I was part of the Virginia Retirement System?  I think not, lol.  Finally, I need to read up on how to create a professional website for my "business."

Busy is good.  But there is a lot of down time in between that needs to be filled when you have a toddler.  That is what can be difficult.  But hey, it's summer and there's nothing to complain about.

Happy Summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment