Thursday, June 20, 2013

Throwback Thursday # 1

As I posted yesterday, today was my last session with my therapist.  These throwback posts were inspired by my assignment of coming in today, to my last session, ready to share what I have learned and how I have changed over the course of the past two years. 

When I came to my session today and was asked what I came up with, I told her that I have changed the most in that I have found myself.  I know who I am, I can define myself, and I am happy with who I am.  That is not something that I could have said two years ago.  Although these past two years have been tough, it has been very enlightening and profound finding my true self and knowing that I am and will always be a work in progress.  I am not stagnant.  I will change and grow for as long as I live, but I know my foundation.  And it is strong. 

As I became stronger and more confident in myself I began to look back at my old self and had a difficult time dealing with what was now my new perspective.  I came to the point where I needed to address these issues and feelings that I had and thus the post Self Forgiveness was born. 

All of my posts hold value to me as they are my thoughts genuine and true as they are to me in that moment.  Some posts hold a more significant value for various reasons.  Self forgiveness is one of them.  As I shared with my therapist today much of the same things that I wrote in the post, my emotions surprisingly got the best of me.  I found the words difficult to make their way out as they were given a new life as a spoken word. 

Her reply, one of her last few thoughts and words that she shared with me today was this...

"Perhaps you have nothing to forgive yourself for."

When I reread Self Forgiveness I can see that without my knowledge at that time, only weeks ago, that was my same conclusion.  Live in the moment.  Do your best. If that is what you have done, what is there to forgive?  What is there to regret? 

She is right, nothing. 









 


No comments:

Post a Comment